Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Devotion to Duty?

Sue Light

I just came across this item in the document I'm transcribing - surely one of the most bizarre offers made by a woman through official channels during the war. No news yet of whether it was accepted or not :unsure:

Miss G. Milne-Miller: Forwarded to D.G.M.S. correspondence received from Miss Macdonald, Matron-in-Chief, Canadian Contingents, relating to the offer of Miss Grace Milne-Miller, at the V.A.D. Hospital, Honiton, that her skin might be used for the purpose of skin-grafting in the case of seriously wounded men. She stated that she was willing to give up her present appointment and come to France if her offer could be made use of.

Sue

Quite remarkable, Sue. I knew that indirect blood transfusion was in its infancy then, but didn't know that donor skin-grafting was even possible at that time. If it was, were there medical, moral or legal obstacles to using skin from the ready supply of cadavers that was unfortunately available during the War? Obviously Miss Milne-Miller's offer was taken seriously, or it would not have been forwarded.

Mick

Having a Google for the history of skin grafting shows that it had been done for centuries, and also that by the Great War cadaveric grafting was being experimented with. But is seems that the Second World War was when the real advancements started. I can't help but think that there must have been some publicity which had initiated the offer, as it does seem to have been accepted by the medical/nursing authorities in France in a very matter of fact way.

I shall certainly keep my eyes 'peeled' for further mentions.

Sue

Sue

If it's the same Grace Milne - Miller who was a hospital nurse at Paddington in 1901, "she was no spring chicken", as she was born in 1876.

Myrtle

If it's the same Grace Milne - Miller who was a hospital nurse at Paddington in 1901, "she was no spring chicken", as she was born in 1876.

Forty-one years old, poor duck. I wonder where that leaves me? And the weekend had been going so well...

Sue :(

My goodness! This really is devotion to duty. I wonder if the nurse in question was "well padded" (and I'm being serious, could 'maybe', or thought she could, spare a few inches of skin from various parts, unlike someone thinner)

Brave lady! Will be interested to read more, if you discover anything else Sue

Caryl

And in the absolute prime of life.

Just what I thought :rolleyes:

I think this might be the last mention of Miss Milne-Miller in the B.E.F., so we will never know if her offer was taken up:

Miss Milne-Miller: Returned to D.G.M.S. correspondence concerning the offer of Miss Milne-Miller to give her skin for grafting purposes, saying that this lady had been informed that her offer should be addressed to the Home Authorities, in accordance with his instructions.

Sue

Sue

In case you are interested the following site has details of Miss G. Milne-Miller returning from the Boer War on the Manilla January 27th 1901. It says that the ship was expected to reach Las Palmas Feb 15th and Southampton February 23rd 1901, in time for the census.

LINK

Myrtle

Myrtle

Thanks - I have got a bit of information about her - Grace Milne Miller was in South Africa as a nurse with the Natal Volunteer Medical Corps. She was the daughter of Colin Milne Miller, a doctor/surgeon-major. Unfortunately, I seem to be flooded with great material in the document, all yelling to be researched a bit more, so I guess Grace will be relegated to the 'interesting, but not at present' pile!

Sue

... so I guess Grace will be relegated to the 'interesting, but not at present' pile!

Which is pretty much what the letter in post 9 said. The poor woman makes a brave offer and, almost a century apart, two people treat her the same way. :lol: