Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Williamson's "The Wet Flanders Plain"

Max Poilu

I was bitterly disappointed with this, and after waiting almost two months for the book on inter-library loan, I was expecting something more than a nature ramble around northern France. There are some excellent descriptions of the flora and fauna, with some good observations on the wildlife, but very little in the way of anything else. It was too quaint and pastoral for my liking, and not my scene at all. Give me a bleak and dystopic landscape every time, and not the nostalgic or sentimental schmaltz that is Williamson. I would have been better with the 'I-Spy' book of 'Birds' or 'Trees'. ;)

Cheers,

Dave

Extant copies of it are extremely expensive - but having read Dave's review i think I'll give it a miss. I am very interested in early books on the battlefields and would welcome any advice on the best.

Whilst everyone has a right to their opinion, I think it should be remembered that the author concerned is a considerable although somewhat controversial literary figure. The man can certainly write in addition to having seen service. As such he is a member of a relatively small group of real writer soldiers. I seem to recall that the book contains a fascinating description of locals selling items recovered from the Butte de Warlencourt. I am sure others will chip in with an opinion but I would certainly rcommend getting the book from the library to check it out.

Personally I don't think it is HWW's best book, but I still think it ranks as an interesting example of one veterans return to the battlefields in the 1920s, and there are very, very few of these. Better ones are Will Bird's 'Thirteen Years After' and G.S.Hutchison's 'Pilgrimage' (although the latter is more of a general history as well).

Williamson was by inclination a nature writer, so all his books have reference to that. It is part of the man he was, so if that is something that doesn't interest you then you won't like this book, or indeed much of his writing.

There was a 1990s edition of this book by Gerald Gliddon that included some very interesting snaps from HWW's photo albums of his visits to the battlefields.

If you have never heard of Henry Williamson have a look at the HW Society's website:

http://www.henrywilliamson.co.uk/

His finest work is a 'Chronicle of Ancient Sunlight', a 15 novel sequence about one family (based on his own), five of which directly relate to the war, but the war is a theme throughout. No serious interest in the Great War is really complete without reference to these at some point, IMHO.

This is an excellent little book, describing visits made by Williamson in 1925 and 1927. The first was as part of his honeymoon and the second was in the company of William Busby, his brother-in-law who had been in the Tank Corps. Williamson paints a clear picture of the recovering countryside around Ypres, Arras and the Somme and many activities going on there. The charabanc trips, the unveiling of divisional memorials, the selling of souveniers, the recovery of bodies, the desolation of the huge German cemetery at Neuville St Vaast, and the various attitudes of the Belgian and French people living there. He visits the tiny chapel at the top of Talbot House and looks down towards Ypres from the ridge of Passchendaele.

The writing style is undoubtedly romantic and inclined to reflection but is 'of its time'. Williamson naturally comments on the countryside through which he walks (observing, for example, the scarring on the elm trees between Poperinghe and Ypres made by the axles of army wagons) but, apart from four pages, out of one hundred and forty-eight, describing the pastoral scene of the moat at Ypres viewed from the ramparts, I can't find the extended wildlife passages described by Dave.

It sits well with the early Michelin guides to the area and books such as 'A Short Guide to the Battlefields' written by J.O.Coop in 1919.

While I haven't read this book (but would like to), it's worth noting that some of the soldiers' letters and diaries that have been serialised on the forum regularly feature descriptions and comments on the flora and fauna of the battlefields. It was obviously a welcome diversion.

I suppose the title says it all, and I should have taken note before ordering, but this book was recommended on the strength of Williamson's recollections and then considerations of both the war and postwar landscape. I accept previous comments, but Williamson's work is hardly a literary critique of war and social or historical change, and I was expecting a bit more on the battlefield clearance aspects, and that of personal and collective experiences. However, don't let my disappointment discourage anyone from ordering a copy, and it is worth reading if only for the easy style and prose itself, just don't be lured into believing it is anything other than a 'walk through the countryside', albeit with a few random observations on postwar change, and a bit of a 'natter' with nature.

Kind Regards,

Dave

As Paul says, books of this type are rare and all the more interesting for that. I suppose it is bound to be rather sentimental given that it describes a journey back in peace to an area that the author knew in total war.

As a regular battlefield pilgrim I am always trying to place myself in the shoes of the visitors in the 20's and 30's and find these experinces as interesting as the war itself.

Thanks very much for all the detailed input - very helpful.

I share others fascination with this subject - one of my top books is a fictional account by Ernest Raymond - Late In The Day. A wonderful story including his time back on the battlefields.

I seem to remember the reprint of With a Machine Gun to Cambrai contained a section on re-visiting the front.

While we are on the subject I may as well share this old piece of ephemera I picked up some years ago - dated 1923:

tour1923a.jpg

tour1923b.jpg

While we are on the subject I may as well share this old piece of ephemera I picked up some years ago - dated 1923

Love it! Plus ca change, plus c'est la meme chose.

I think that 185 francs for the Somme tour translates to approx £3 and you also need to factor in the costs of getting to Paris and back. I am pretty certain that the cost of the tours would have been well beyond the reach of the average former Tommy. The mass travel of the British Legion tours brought the costs down of course.

Please ignore my previous comments having read all the subsequent well informed comments I shall now be sure to order a copy from the library - by the way what exactly does "lights & service" mean (on the cover of the tourist brochure)?

Hello Keith,

You won't go far wrong with 'Letters to Helen' by Keith Henderson either. Published in 1917-18, it is in a similar vein to Williamson, but with more wit and humour, and he has a deep affection for his mount. The illustrations are pretty spectacular too, and apologies beforehand, but the image of 'Crucifix Corner' is exceptionally vivid. Likewise, 'Fricourt Cemetery' and 'Trenches Between Fricourt and La Boiselle.'

Cheers,

Dave

• 7 years later...

Just purchased a 1920's edition of Williamsons book 'Wet Flanders Plain ", looking forward to starting it when I finally work my way through the unread pile.

khaki

• 2 weeks later...

Just purchased a 1920's edition of Williamsons book 'Wet Flanders Plain ", looking forward to starting it when I finally work my way through the unread pile.

khaki

I finished 'Wet Flanders plain', to me it was an enjoyable read, I took my time with it and like a fine meal or wine it was all the better for doing so. My 'measure' of an enjoyable book is 'does it transport me to another time or place?' it did that exceptionally well. A collectable copy it is a welcome addition to my little library.

khaki

I'm very glad you enjoyed it. Given Henry's inclination to gild reality, it cannot be taken as absolute truth but it is a fine early account of an 'old soldier' revisiting the battlefields.

Personally I don't think it is HWW's best book, but I still think it ranks as an interesting example of one veterans return to the battlefields in the 1920s, and there are very, very few of these. Better ones are Will Bird's 'Thirteen Years After' and G.S.Hutchison's 'Pilgrimage' (although the latter is more of a general history as well).

I am having a bit of trouble tracking down Hutchinson's 'Pilgrimage', who was the publisher etc ??

khaki

Khaki,

London: Rich & Cowan.

No date on title page, but given on copac.ac.uk/search as 1935.

I notice that you say HutchiNson, but Paul Reed (correctly) Hutchison, so that may be why you're having trouble finding it.

Many thanks seaJane, I will try again,

khaki

edit.,

Thanks again sJ,

I just found and ordered an old copy signed by a Lord Queensbrough ?Queensborough??

(k)

Hello Keith,

You won't go far wrong with 'Letters to Helen' by Keith Henderson either. Published in 1917-18, it is in a similar vein to Williamson, but with more wit and humour, and he has a deep affection for his mount. The illustrations are pretty spectacular too, and apologies beforehand, but the image of 'Crucifix Corner' is exceptionally vivid. Likewise, 'Fricourt Cemetery' and 'Trenches Between Fricourt and La Boiselle.'

Cheers,

Dave

Many thanks - just added this to the 'pile' of ebooks I have - found it as a free book on Amazon, and also as a PDF download from Archive.org. also downloaded 'Our Privates We' - another I haven't read.

I now have more than enough (except you never can have more than enough) to read during the intervals between getting and washing up village cricket teas all through the summer - nothing better than a deck chair, summer sunshine, leather on willow, gentle gossip and a good book to read. (should find a flowery dress and some knitting to do just to complete the picture!!)

Honora

• 2 weeks later...

Many thanks seaJane, I will try again,

khaki

edit.,

Thanks again sJ,

I just found and ordered an old copy signed by a Lord Queensbrough ?Queensborough??

(k)

Just an update for general interest the book 'Pilgrimage' arrived, in good shape, one of the introduction pages is printed 'To Mark the Unique Occasion of the Unveiling of the Canadian War Memorial on Vimy Ridge by HM King Edward VIII 26th July 1936 , etc etc this volume is presented to the Veterans who participated in the pilgrimage etc etc'

signed in ink, Queensborough Aug 13th 1936

khaki

• 7 years later...

I've just read this book for the 2nd (3rd?) time. An excellent holiday book and I really did enjoy reading about his antics around Ieper. His stories about Hill 60 & 62 made I laugh, very recognisable - even now!