Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

ss Alaunia

daggers

Having got in on the last stages of the Alaunia saga and the recognition of Steward Morris's grave by CWGC, I now have the odd coincidence of finding that my gt-uncle, who was wounded with the RND in the Dardanelles campaign in May 1915, was first taken to 'No.11 CCS', then to a hospital ship, then to '16th stationery Hos. S.S.Alaunia' before discharge to duty.

Does anyone know whether '16th stationery Hospital' was in fact the Alaunia?

Is there a list of CCSs for this campaign? I have seen the F&F list on the parent site.

Following much earlier threads in which Alaunia was named, the gt-uncle did not last long after return to duty but went to HS Devanha, then to an Anglo American Hosp in Cairo before being shipped home in HS Letitia. [This sounds as though he did not survive, but I meant that he was unfit for duty - lived until 1954!]

Daggers

Daggers,

ALAUNIA was indeed a hospital ship. No.11 Casualty Clearing Station was close to Lancashire Landing at Helles. Hence, most of the men who died of wounds there are buried in Lancashire Landing Cemetery. The 16th Stationary Hsopital was ashore at Mudros (Lemnos).

H2

H2

That explains much - my chap was at Rupert Brooke's funeral on Mudros and I wondered how it all fitted together. Excellent stuff, thank you.

Daggers

Mick

Sadly, no, unless it with his descendants who I have not been able to stir into interest in family matters. Another relative wrote up some bare details and quoted a long press article [without giving the source!!!] about Brooke & his romantic image but not much about his RND experiences. The article was published somewhere in May 1964 and appears to be a long review of the Brooke biography by Christopher Hassall.

Daggers

• 6 months later...

H2

I don't for one moment doubt your post - "ALAUNIA was indeed a hospital ship." But looking for further details of Alaunia as a hospital ship the best that I could find was the following from "THE SHIPS LIST"

ALAUNIA 1913

13,405 gross tons, length 520.3ft x beam 64ft, two funnels, two masts, twin screw, speed 15 knots, accommodation for 520-2nd and 1,540-3rd class passengers. Launched on 9th Jun.1913 by Scott's Shipbuilding & Engineering Co, Greenock for the Cunard Steamship Co, her maiden voyage started 27th Nov.1913 from Liverpool for Queenstown, Portland and Boston (4 round voyages). 9th Apr.1914 first voyage (London for cargo) - Southampton - Portland. 14th May 1914 first voyage (London) - Southampton - Quebec - Montreal. 10th May 1916 first voyage London - New York. 19th Sep.1916 last voyage London - NY. 19th Oct.1916 mined and sunk off Royal Sovereign lightship, Sussex with the loss of two lives.[North Atlantic Seaway by N.R.P.Bonsor, vol.1,p.159]

This gives no indication that she served as a hospital ship and the voyages appear to have no connection with the Mediterranean area do you have any other information regarding her service as a hospital ship?

Tony