Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

A diary from a shipmate onboard the S.S. Cawdor Castle.

Guest aumarire

Guest aumarire

I have a diary, covering 3 months, written by a family member who was apparently on the above named ship. On the top of the page, it is torn, but only his surname appears, that is RANDS. then ?? 227 A Coy, Royal marines, Special Services Force. The diary was begun, according to the writing, on 30th Jan 1915, then it says " on board SS Cawdor Castle, Chatham, Movements of the batt after leaving. Entrained at 5.30am at ..... and it then goes on to mention the travel to Gallipoli etc etc.

What I would like to know is how can I locate the Christian name of this chap RANDS, as I would like to be able to place him in the family. This diary is held by the family, but we cannot work out which member he is.

Are there any lists of the crew that were on that particular ship at this time.

Any help would be appreciated

Laurie Rands

New Zealand

Laurie,

Here is your man:-

Chatham/227(S); RANDS, E; Enlisted 16/09/1914; Discharged demobilised; D.o.b. 27/11/1894; P.o.b. WATFORD, Herts.

He was part of the advance force of the Royal Naval Division which went out to the Dardanelles in early Febraury 1915. It comprised Chatham and Plymouth Battalions RND plus the RM Brigade HQ. The battalions embarked at Plymouth on 6 Feb 1916, with Chatham Battalion in HMT CAWDOR CASTLE.

His one-page service record is available from the National Archives at Kew. The Fleet Air Arm Museum will hold his original attestation and much more . Contact them for copies. See the following for what might be there:

http://www.fleetairarm.com/pages/research/archivep1.htm

This sounds like an important diary. Any chance of some postings?