Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Artillery Badges

CROONAERT

I know that this has probably been discussed before and has been written about in various sources, but I've never been able to get a definitive answer...

Is there any significance attributed to the "spinning wheel" RA badge, and does it show any particular manufacturer or date?

Cheers,

Dave.

Dave

Sorry if I'm being stupid but are you referring to the RA cap badge which depicts

an 18th century canon with its wheels.

Geoff

Hi Geoff.

That's the one. (Depicted below).

I've heard several rumours about the significance ,but I've also heard (and I think believe) that there's no significance whatsoever. I just need convincing, that's all. :)

"Doubting Thomas" Dave.

post-23-1071086499.jpg

If it is any help in the current Australian Army the 'spinning wheel' version is for officers and the 'flat' version is for ORs. Some British Army officer's versions are also more elaborate- they have an aditional wheel superimposed but it does not always move!

Greg

Dave/Greg

Now I'm really being thick. Are you saying that on some RA cap badges

the wheel actually rotates. I've never seen one.

Geoff

. Are you saying that on some RA cap badges

the wheel actually rotates. I've never seen one.

You have now Geoff! :D

The one in the photo above is of the "spinning wheel" variety. It's also definately not an officer's badge.

Dave. :)

I think they're actually quite common. Here's another (minus the slider,rivet and wheel) that I found at Monchy-le-Preux in the late 80's. You can see the hole where the rivet that held the extra wheel went.

Dave.

post-23-1071151606.jpg

Dave

What can I say, except "well ****** me"

I'll have to have a look out for one now. Whatever next

rotating cap badges. You sure this is not just a big hoax.

Just had a thought, they'd be good a bonfire night, all lined

up on parade with catherine wheels spinning round on their

caps.

Now I am being stupid

Geoff

Can I clearly state that I know little about the RA. But Major DA Campbell RA in his two books about RA dress says that Officers' cap badges are mounted. No mention of OR being thus.

The badges that I've illustrated are definately OR issue. The officer's issue ,apart from being "bronzed" didn't usually have slider fastenings and were quite often maker-marked. They were "mounted", as Langley states ,but the wheel on the officer's version didn't rotate.

Dave.

Dear Geoff and Dave,

Yes there are current versions where the wheel actually rotates! Very useful! Oddly enough the current British Officers SD bronze badge has the additional wheel but it does not move.

There is a jingle I have heard about 'the wheel which does not spin' etc which was generally derogatory to gunners but I have never heard that the wheel hadany other significance.

Regards Greg

• 3 weeks later...

having just retired after 22yrs as a gunner i have never heard of any meaning behind a spining wheel on the cap badge,although the badge i wore did have a spining wheel but that was not an issued badge, as with most artillery regiments SNCO`s are expected to to purchase their own brass cap bage and shoulder titles.

To a gunner the number one gripe is the myth behind the white lanyard. if you want i will try to take a pic of my cap badge. but keep in mind it has the queens crown on it