Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

MIKRA MEMORIAL THESSALONIKI

sotonmate

Forum

Just to share my new knowledge from yesterday,maybe not new to a few of you old seadogs,but it may help someone along the way.

Came across a list of service personnel in a WO363 microfilm,showing drowned on 21 Feb 1917 and no mention of ship or theatre,so took a peek today at CWGC for one of the 45 names from a variety of Army units.

I am led to this Memorial which I had not come across to date. The victims were from the Fleet Messenger PRINCESS ALBERTA,struck by mine between Stavros and Mudros on the date mentioned.

Sotonmate

Sotonmate,

The FM Princess Alberta was mined, laid by UC 23, in Mudros Bay, and 33 naval crewmen lost their lives.

If your 45 names were all army then a total of 78 died that day.

Best wishes

David

David

Thanks for the additional information. My list was only Army,sent to the War Office,and apparently a copy of the list was placed in each soldier's record.

When I found out which ship it was it helped to solve why there were several RE Postal Section victims. Being a Fleet Messenger these boys must have been the Med's postmen.

Good luck with your next steps.

If you need anything from me in the future I go to the NA about once a month so you can PM any time.

Best wishes

Sotonmate

Pals,

Does anyone have details of the MIKRA MEMORIAL at THESSALONIKI?

Please post or send me a PM.

Best wishes

David

As the Mikra Memorial is only about a mile from my house, perhaps I can help.

It consists of a number of panels arranged along the south wall of the CWGC Cemetery, behind the Cross of Sacrifice. The 500 names are listed "by ship", and are of those victims whose bodies were never recovered. Those who were found washed up on the shore locally are buried in normal graves in the cemetery - many unidentified.

The cemetery is clearly visible on Google Earth/Maps at 40.578730 22.96440 (and my house is at 40.587700 22.949275 !) The building with the red roof is CWGC Northern Greece HQ. The Memorial and Cross of Sacrifice are just to the left of this, partly obscured by the poplar tree shadows!

I've PMed you my email address in case you need further information.

Regards,

Adrian

• 4 months later...

Hi, I have recently been researching my husband's family tree and discovered that his great uncle is buried in the Mikra British cemetry. He was Amos Emmanuel Humphriss and he died on the 9th November 1918. We have his service details. We do not know how he died or why he was there. I was wondering if you could visit the grave for us. One day we hope to visit ourselves. If possible my husband wondered if you couuld email a photo of the grave to us or if you knew how we could find out why he is buried there. Where could I go to find out details about action in Kalamaria? I look forward to hearing from you.

Gill Humphriss

quote name='apwright' date='Mar 9 2007, 11:13 AM' post='641079']

As the Mikra Memorial is only about a mile from my house, perhaps I can help.

It consists of a number of panels arranged along the south wall of the CWGC Cemetery, behind the Cross of Sacrifice. The 500 names are listed "by ship", and are of those victims whose bodies were never recovered. Those who were found washed up on the shore locally are buried in normal graves in the cemetery - many unidentified.

The cemetery is clearly visible on Google Earth/Maps at 40.578730 22.96440 (and my house is at 40.587700 22.949275 !) The building with the red roof is CWGC Northern Greece HQ. The Memorial and Cross of Sacrifice are just to the left of this, partly obscured by the poplar tree shadows!

I've PMed you my email address in case you need further information.

Regards,

Adrian

Hi Gill,

I will go over to Mikra for you first thing tomorrow.

For a potted history of the Salonika campaign, see http://www.1914-1918.net/salonika.htm

An armistice with Bulgaria came into effect on 30 September 1918, so the war down here ended a month or so before Amos died. It is possible he was wounded during the last great push into Serbia and succumbed later in hospital here, but I would think he most likely died of disease - malaria, especially, being particularly virulent here in those days. Having said that, looking through some of the other post-armistice burials at Mikra (and there are many, right through to 1920), most seem to have died of pneumonia.

If I find anyone at the CWGC office at Mikra, I'll ask if they have any further information on Amos for you.

Send me your email address by PM!

Regards,

Adrian

No victims from the PRINCESS ALBERTA can be found on the wall behind the Cross of Sacrifice (left side). Perhaps they have a separate Memorial dedicated to them (another part of the wall or elsewhere inside the cemetery) as the ship is mentioned on the CWGC website. I'm sure Adrian will find the names today.

Michail,

mm_Mikra2.jpg

Pals,

Does anyone have details of the MIKRA MEMORIAL at THESSALONIKI?

Please post or send me a PM.

Best wishes

David