Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Amiens offensive - Cloncurry trench

mawgan

I have been sent an extract from the regimental history of the Queen's regiment detailing the activity of the 7th Queen's on 08/08/1918 the day my great uncle, Albert Howard , serving with that regiment died. In the extract Burke trench, Croydon trench & Cloncurry trench are mentioned & I wondered if anyone had a trench map showing these trenches.

thanks,

Jo

A little more information in the hope that something may turn up,

"7th Queens, part of the 18th Division were detailed with the capture of ground north of the Bray - Corbie Road to protect the flank of the Fourth Army. They were due to be supported by six tanks which failed to make the rendevous. By 3.40 a.m. the battalion was in position, one wave in front & three behind Burke trench. At 7 a.m Lt Col C Bushell VC, DSO collected all available men who he led forward from Croydon trench & assaulted the enenmy lines capturing Cloncurry trench."

If anyone has any information on this area, maps, contempory photos , anything at all I would be grateful

Jo

• 2 weeks later...

Jo,

Cloncurry, Croydon and Burke(town) are all small towns in the Gulf of Carpentaria, Queensland. I thought they might have been associated with one of the Australian battalions such as the 15th, which contained numbers of men from that area, but have not found any info on this.

post-854-1174304223.jpg

From

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~s...N%20Ch%2027.pdf

Jo,

out of interest does Albert Howard have a 'known grave', if so where is he buried?

Regards,

Scottie.

Hi Scottie,

Albert was KIA 08/08/1918 at the age of 21 but has no known grave, he is commemorated on the memorial to the missing at Vis-en-Artois, which someone kindly informed me is the memorial to the missing from 08/08 to the Armistice.

His mother, to her dying day, always believed he would come home.

Jo