Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

George Augustus Victory

johnnie

Dear All,

I am trying to research a chap from a seamans discharge book that I have, however I have

never looked at naval research before.

The book is to a merchant seaman (my father - also a merchant seaman - gave it to me) by the name

of George Augustus Victory who was born in Sunderland in 1873.

The front of the book is stamped renewal book original reported lost with ship, and the first

entry states he joined the Diadem on the 23/11/1916, however that the ship was sunk by a

submarine on the 21/4/1917.

I have tried to find information about the ship, however all that I can find is that it was built in

1916. There was also a Royal Navy ship with the same name which seems to be confusing things.

I was also confused by a few of the voyage descriptions as they are down as Admiralty, and I was

wondering what this might mean/involve.

I was also wondering about his medals, as in the rear there is a slip stating he was entitled to wear the

British War Medal and clasp, and the Mercantile Marine Medal, however it states he could wear the

ribbon from 28/8/1919, and the medal from 30/4/1921. Is this something to do with the date the medals

were issued? Also were seaman not entitled to wear the victory medal, or the 1914/14-15 star.

Any help would be great.

Johnnie

Johnnie, welcome to the wet section of the forum.

On 21st April 1917 SS Diadem, defefensively armed, built 1916, 4,307 grt, was torpedoed and sunk by U 50 200 miles SWxW from Fastnet, Ireland, Atlantic Ocean with no casualties. She was on a voyage from

Bassein & Dakar to London carrying a cargo of rice and was owned by Hall Brothers - Newcastle upon Tyne and managed by Hall Brothers Steamship Co Ltd.

The reference to Admiralty in his papers would suggest that the Diadem was hired as a transport, which would mean that its prefix would change from SS to HMT.

Best wishes

David

Hi David,

Thanks for the information.

I have just checked some books my father has (that I had forgotten

about) called the LLoyd's War Lossess. They also provide a position,

stating that it was sunk at 48.37N., 12.40W.,

You might already have this information, however I thought I would

supply it anyway.

Johnnie

You might find these threads useful:

Naval MIC's, Where are they held??

Mercantile Marine Service Documents

Merchant seaman were not entitled to wear the victory medal, or the 1914/14-15 star unless they came under Admiralty orders or served in another capasity.

Thanks for all the information.

I am still a little stuck as I have looked on the PRO web site and have

been unable to come um with my chap. The nearest match I have is a

G Victory who appears to have been born in Sunderland on the

12/6/1913, however my chap is George Augustus Victory who was born

in Sunderland in 1873.

Is there anywhere else I could look for information regarding his life

or naval career.

Johnnie

The online records are for seamen in the Royal Navy, not the Merchant Navy. So if he is not found it just confirms that he did not serve in the RN and his medal bar suggested that was the case.