Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

HMS Wellington around 1918 - 1919

colinfoot

In a Naval Record I have downloded from the National Archives I find that when my relative was recalled to active service, 5 years after he was pensioned out, at the beginning of 1918 his postings alternated between HMS Pembroke I ( which I believe was Chatham ) and HMS Wellington. But I can find no reference to an HMS Wellington at that time. Can anyone help please?

Hi,

Welcome to the forum. Could it read HMS Wallington?

Regards Charles

Thanks for the suggestion because that could well be the case. But now I have a different problem. The source I have has HMS Wallaroo (ex Persian) becoming guardship at Chatham in 1914 and renamed Wallington in March 1919. My chaps service was from 20th February 1918 to 24th July 1918 and again from 29th August 1918 to 24th February 1919. Was it renamed a little earlier or was another ship or shore base carrying the name at those times.

Thanks again Colin

Colin,

Up until the 1950’s all personnel had to belong to a seagoing ship to be subject to the Naval Discipline Act. This could be any ship in commission IE a ‘HMS’ shore bases as such did not exist as HMS, albeit there was a lot. HMS Wallington was a depot ship on the River Humber the work and administration being done in the Old Custom House, Grimsby and the actual ship berthed at Immingham. Usually in Parenthesis after HMS Wallington would be the ship he served on. Hope this helps. The Walleroo was renamed Wallington on the 3rd March 1919, I can not find any reference to her being the guardship at Chatham.

Regards Charles

Colin,

Up until the 1950’s all personnel had to belong to a seagoing ship to be subject to the Naval Discipline Act. This could be any ship in commission IE a ‘HMS’ shore bases as such did not exist as HMS, albeit there was a lot. HMS Wallington was a depot ship on the River Humber the work and administration being done in the Old Custom House, Grimsby and the actual ship berthed at Immingham. Usually in Parenthesis after HMS Wallington would be the ship he served on. Hope this helps. The Walleroo was renamed Wallington on the 3rd March 1919, I can not find any reference to her being the guardship at Chatham.

Regards Charles

That has cleared it up nicely. Thank you so much for your help

Regards Colin