Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Croxteth Hall

Trenchrat

Hi,

Does anyone in the forum know anything about Croxteth Hall? I know it was a convalecence hospital. Where was it and for how long did it operate?

It is near Liverpool and was the home of the Earls of Sefton. Many stately homes were given over to hospital services during the war and then reverted to their former status. Croxteth Hall is now open to the public and has a safari park in its grounds.

Croxteth Hall is still there, and in the ownership of Liverpool City Council. It is open to the public. There s also a lage park, which last year hosted Merseyfest, a week-long Ecumenical event for several thousands.

Bruce

Croxteth Hall is now open to the public and has a safari park in its grounds.

Are you getting your Earls mixed up, Ian? Croxteth Hall is the Earl of Sefton, and Knowsley Safari Park is the Earl of Derby. :huh:

Hi,

Thanks for all the replies. Out of curiousity is there a present day Earl of Sefton or has the title gone dormant? So sad that the family had to give up the ancestral home. I'm sure that it's a lovely place. I understand a lot of these old places had to be given up due to high taxes and the family not be able to pay for the upkeep. I assume that the Earl at one time ruled over the Liverpool area. Do any of you know how long it served as a hospital?

The last Earl of Sefton died with no heir a few years ago. The city now uses the park and Hall as an activity centre with some domestic animals on view, not wild. The Safari park is at Knowsley of which the Earl of Derby is still an active owner. There are to be other wild activities coming up, with a pop group/band [?] doing a 'concert' there.

I don't know about hospitals but the National Archives has a database:

www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/searchthearchives/hospitalrecords.htm

An article in Family Tree mag says the site gives info on existence and location of surviving records of all hospitals in UK.

Daggers

The Earl of Derby's estate is Knowsley Hall. It is now a safari park, but where the large car park now is, was the site of the huts used by (and erected by) the 2nd King's Liverpool Regiment Pals...the 18th Kings.

The pop concerts mentioned are actually the Liverpool Pops, which have been moved this year from beside the Albert Dock to the centre of Aintree race-course. The Grand National Steeplechase has been run there every year since 1839 (the first two years were in Maghull...hence Old Racecourse Road), except in 1916. This came up some time ago in a Merseyside Quiz League match, and it was found that in 1916 the Grand National was run at Gatwick. I couldn't fathom why, and was more befuddled when i found that it was for fear of a zeppelin raid. Hmmm...moving it closer to the zeps...good move that! Closer scrutiny revealed that the centre of Aintree (where the pop concerts will be) was a huge ammunition dump in 1916, and a direct bomb hit there would have destroyed most of the north-west.

Good grief.....do I need a new anorak?

Bruce

Bruce

Take your old anorak to Knowsley - 27 June I think - see website for the Who concert. (Google Knowsley Hall). Sorry, off topic

Daggers

Are you getting your Earls mixed up, Ian?

Nope, just farm animals and wild animals!