Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Le Touquet Trench Map Numbering ?

kbonney88

Hello to all,

I'm off to France next month to the Le Touquet / Armentieres area of France, to visit the area where my Great Grandad fought and was killed in 1915.

I've managed to obtain part of the Battalions War diary - In which it mentions that he went into the Trenches at Le Touquet in Oct 1915 on several occasions. In the War Diary it refers to the Trenches by "Numbers", ie. "Trenches 95 to 101".

Does anyone know which way the numbering worked ?? As i have a Trench map of the area in 1915 but it has no Trench names or Trench numbers on it at all. And a 1917 Map has just Trench Names.

Many Thanks in advance..

Kev.

Modern aerial of the same location, with front lines overlaid - hope that helps.

Hi Paul..

Blimey, what can i say ?? Thats fantastic !! I think I'll have to look into that Linesman system.. I remember it being mentioned a while back.. Excellent !!

Thank you very much.. If there's anything you require over in that area next month please let me know..

Just send me a PM.

:)

Very Many Thanks again..

Kev.

this is from the new Linesman system. It's a trench map from 17th February 1916 showing the 95 - 101 trenches at le Touquet.

Paul can you tell me what ref you used for this? I only got Le Touquet Paris plage (and there arent no trenches there!) Thanks

Keith - I already knew where Le Touquet was, but to find it type in 'Frelinghein' and work your way up the line, going north-ish.

What a coincidence! I was looking for info on Le Touquet as my G-Uncle was killed there 24/2/17. He is buried at Tancrez Farm which I think is just off the bottom left hand corner of the aerial photo.

Any chance you could post an extract from the 1917 map Kev? or could you let me know where I can get hold of a copy?

Thanks

Ray

What a coincidence! I was looking for info on Le Touquet as my G-Uncle was killed there 24/2/17. He is buried at Tancrez Farm which I think is just off the bottom left hand corner of the aerial photo.

Any chance you could post an extract from the 1917 map Kev? or could you let me know where I can get hold of a copy?

Thanks

Ray

Ray

I can't find it, do you know the map reference, it is not in Rats Alley.

Guy

Guy,

I don't know exactly where although John Hartley mentioned some time ago that he was killed at Le Touquet. This would square with his burial at Tancrez Farm which is next to the industrial complex on the bottom LH corner of the photo. Kev mentions in his original post that he has a 1917 map with trench names. Whilst this won't tell me exactly where, it will be one more piece of info towards finding out.

Ray

Hi Ray,

Just been looking on my modern map of Armentieres and my 1917 Trench map. I think I've found the cemetery you mean. I cant get a name for it though.

I got my map from : http://www.ghsmith.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=6_8_10

Its the " Houplines 36 N.W " It covers the area around Armentieres/ Le Touquet/ Frelinghein upto the area just below Ploegsteert Wood. It dated 23.9.1917

If you send me a PM with your email, I'll email you the maps that I have on my PC.

By the way using "Google Earth" on the area is excellent - you can zoom in and even see the headstones in the Cemeteries.

Kind Regards,

Kev.

Guy,

I don't know exactly where although John Hartley mentioned some time ago that he was killed at Le Touquet. This would square with his burial at Tancrez Farm which is next to the industrial complex on the bottom LH corner of the photo. Kev mentions in his original post that he has a 1917 map with trench names. Whilst this won't tell me exactly where, it will be one more piece of info towards finding out.

Ray