Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Special Reserve Units

geofffox

I'm currently researching the military career of my great-great-uncle who served with the 4th Battalion the Durham Light Infantry (a Special Reserve Battalion). He was mobilised a few days after war was declared in 1914 and he was posted to the 2nd Battalion Durham Light infantry who were then stationed at Lichfield.

My query, however, concerns the transition of the 2nd South Durham Militia Regiment into the 4th (Reserve Battalion) The Durham Light Infantry in 1908. Specifically, if a soldier was serving in a militia battalion prior to 1908, would he have been required to undergo the six months full-time recruit training before being transferred into the special reserve, or would previous military experience with the militia have been taken into account allowing militiamen to be automatically transferred to the special reserve?

Also, on the formation of the special reserve in 1908, would militiamen who chose to continue to serve as special reservists have retained their old militia numbers, or would they have been allocated a new number when transferring to the special reserve.

I would be very grateful to anybody who can help me with this query.

Though far from an expert on this subject, the sense that I get from my readings on the Haldane reforms is that men from the old militia and volunteer regiments tended to join the Territorial Force (which had similiar terms of service) rather than the Special Reserve (which required six months of recruit training and an obligation to serve overseas.)

As joining either the Territorial Force or the Special Reserve required a new enlistment (rather than a transfer) I strongly suspect that new regimental numbers would be involved.

Though far from an expert on this subject, the sense that I get from my readings on the Haldane reforms is that men from the old militia and volunteer regiments tended to join the Territorial Force (which had similiar terms of service) rather than the Special Reserve (which required six months of recruit training and an obligation to serve overseas.)

I have a feeling that this is not quite true, but I will have to wait until I get back to my books to post a reasonably difinitive answer. You are spot on with the number changes though.

Andy

Coldm,

Please read;- War Office Special Army Order of 23rd December 1907

"Scheme for the provision, organisation and training of the Special Reserve required to supplement the Regular Army and the application of the scheme to the existing Militia"

Graham.

• 2 weeks later...
Coldm,

Please read;- War Office Special Army Order of 23rd December 1907

"Scheme for the provision, organisation and training of the Special Reserve required to supplement the Regular Army and the application of the scheme to the existing Militia"

Graham.

Dear Graham,

Thank you for your response to my query regarding the Militia's transition to Special Reserve battalions. Could you please inform me where I could find a copy of the 'War Office Special Army Order of 23rd December 1907'. I have been unable to find any reference to it on the internet. Would this document be held at the National Archives?

I would be very grateful if you could assist me further with this matter.

Kind Regards

Geoff Fox

According to the "History of th KOYLI Vol.II" states that on 27th June 1908 all officers and men (274) of the old Militia 3rd Bn. transferred to the new 3rd (Reserve) Bn KOYLI. It continues "To provide a nucleus to the new force during its first years, Militia battalions were allowed to transfer to it. Accordingly seventy four such battalions became Reserve Battalions, in which number the 3rd Battalion Kings Own Yorkshire Light Infantry was included; as stated above all officers and 274 other ranks of the old Militia 3rd Battalion transferred to the new 3rd (Reserve) Battalion. Of the remaining Militia battalions, 27 became Extra Reserve Battalions, with different functions and a different establishment, while 23 battalions were disbanded." According to this it would seem that Militia transferred to the new Reserve battalions en masse...the 6 months training clause being a moot point because of course as a militiaman you would have already undergone this period of training on enlistment into the militia.

The history has 2 or 3 pages of explanation of the establishment and terms that you may find interesting...if you would like a scan please drop me a pm with your email address.

Andy

According to the "History of th KOYLI Vol.II" states that on 27th June 1908 all officers and men (274) of the old Militia 3rd Bn. transferred to the new 3rd (Reserve) Bn KOYLI. It continues "To provide a nucleus to the new force during its first years, Militia battalions were allowed to transfer to it. Accordingly seventy four such battalions became Reserve Battalions, in which number the 3rd Battalion Kings Own Yorkshire Light Infantry was included; as stated above all officers and 274 other ranks of the old Militia 3rd Battalion transferred to the new 3rd (Reserve) Battalion. Of the remaining Militia battalions, 27 became Extra Reserve Battalions, with different functions and a different establishment, while 23 battalions were disbanded." According to this it would seem that Militia transferred to the new Reserve battalions en masse...the 6 months training clause being a moot point because of course as a militiaman you would have already undergone this period of training on enlistment into the militia.

The history has 2 or 3 pages of explanation of the establishment and terms that you may find interesting...if you would like a scan please drop me a pm with your email address.

Andy

Dear Andy,

Thank you for your response to my query regarding the transfer of militiamen to the special Reserve in 1908. The information you provided in your last posting clarified a number of points, and I would be delighted if you could send via email any information regarding this matter. My email address is: geoffreyfox2000@yahoo.co.uk

Kind Regards

Geoff Fox