Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Garrison artillery in the Inverkeithing area

Draynats

During my researching of my relative Pte 457912 Fred Wykes, 60th Battalion, CEF, I have come across a reference on his attestation papers that he had "previous military service" in "garrison artillery"

Before going to Canada in around 1913, he lived in Inverkeithing, Fife. As he was working in a quarry between 1910 and his departure to Canada. my theory is that Fred must have joined the Forth (as in Firth of Forth)TA Garrison.

This garrison had 4 companys on the Edinburgh side of the estuary and at least two on the northside at Burntisland and Kirkcaldy

Does anyone have any information about the garrison artillery units in this area. Better still, are there any muster rolls etc that would help me prove that Fred was a member of a garrison artillery unit before he went to Canada?

Thanks for any help

Draynats

• 6 years later...
Guest boxwoodgreen

Hi Draynat,

Your great uncle's gravesite was recently posted on a very good website in a photo visit to the Menin Road South Military Cemetery. I'm in Canada so I did a lot of research before finding you.

The site is called "With the British Army in Flanders" ( thebignote.com ) It's author has done a phenominal job of photo visits to Commonwealth Cemeteries in the Ypres region. Menin Road South is as of today the most recent cemetery visited.

I posted a link there just yesterday to the 60th Battalions War Diary page including the day your great uncle was lost.

One of my Great Uncles James Howard Allan was lost in front of Hill 60 June 13, 1916 the last day of the Battle of Mount Sorrell. June 1-13, 1916.

He is resting at Railway Dugouts (Transport Farm) Cemetery. VI - D - 17

There was a Military Camp/Training ground? at Carlingnose, Inverkeithing, North Queensferry. The 1/6th Black Watch did a couple of weeks training there, and I assume did many other TF battalions? There's a bit about it on this thread Click I think there may have been a battery there as I suppose it formed part of the (Firth of Forth) defences?

Scotland's Places

Mike

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone know of1st world War training camps in Central Snowdonia /Caernarvonshire?

During my researching of my relative Pte 457912 Fred Wykes, 60th Battalion, CEF, I have come across a reference on his attestation papers that he had "previous military service" in "garrison artillery"

Before going to Canada in around 1913, he lived in Inverkeithing, Fife. As he was working in a quarry between 1910 and his departure to Canada. my theory is that Fred must have joined the Forth (as in Firth of Forth)TA Garrison.

This garrison had 4 companys on the Edinburgh side of the estuary and at least two on the northside at Burntisland and Kirkcaldy

Draynats

Forth Royal Garrison Artillery (Territorial Force - "for Defended Ports" )

Headquarters: Edinburgh, 28 York Place (from 1911, Easter Road)

Garrison Companies: 1-4 Edinburgh

5 Kirkcaldy & Kinghorn

6 Burntisland & Inverkeithing.

(Source: Westlake. The Territorials 1908-1914)

Roger.