Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Mercantile Marine Service Documents

gnr.ktrha

Hello,

I'm doing a bit of research for a friend who's relatives was in the Mercantile Marines and the Army. Can anyone tell me if there are any service documents for Mercantile Marines? If there are still 'there' where are they and how do you go about getting copies? What does it usually cost? The fellow I'm after was called Thomas Scotland. he was from Leith near Edinburgh. I know he survived the war. The family did not know he had been in the MM's, so that was a bit of a surprise to them, they only have his BWM and also a medal ribbon bar [bWM & MM medals ribbons]

Any help or advice would be most welcome,

Regards,

Stewart

papers are at the NA, kew

There is a card index for the BWM and Mercantile Marine War Medal at Kew on microfiche. There are only service records from 1918. Many records for the Mercantile Marine are in Southampton and Newfoundland.

some of these cards( thats what I was meaning by papers) also have pictures of the chap

:) Hello,

Thank you for all of your help. Do you know what code they come under at Kew? Also, are they likley to mention any ships he sailed on etc?

Thanks once again,

Stewart

BT 351 Index of First World War Mercantile Marine Medals and the British War Medal no details of ships

BT 350 record cards 1918-21

BT 348 Register of Seamen, Central Index, Numerical Series BT 349 Alphabetical Index to the above

All have ships numbers which you have to cross reference to find the ships names. Covers 1921-41.

For crew lists see

BT 350 catalogue entry 'Scope and ContentThis series contains a microfiche copy of the CR 10 Central Index cards to the Register of Seamen which was kept by the Registrar General of Shipping and Seaman.

Each card typically gives the following information: discharge A number; certificate of company number; name of seaman; year and place of birth; rank or rating; name and official number of ship and date of engagement of service.

This series was a special index created by order of the Defence of the Realm Act 1918. The origins and purpose of this index is unknown.

Cards dating from 1913 to 1918 were destroyed in 1969 for unknown reasons.'

:) That's great, it's given me plenty of options and places to look. Thanks for giving such a full answer.

Regards,

Stewart