Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

R.N.R. T.Brennen

Rory Reynolds

I wonder if anyone can assist? I am trying to find out more about a T. Brennen, Stoker, R.N.R. I have searched the Archives high and low (from South Africa) but can find no reference to him.

I know he existed because I have a George V - L.S.G.C. with his name on it.

His service number would appear to be U 1707. Can anyone tell me the significance of this? I have also tried going the Census route but don't have enough detail on the man to make any headway. The best I have come up with is that his name is most likely Thomas.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Rory

Rory

The U in his official RNR number signifies that he was on his third term of RNR enrolment as a stoker (S for 1st term, T for 2nd, U for 3rd, V for 4th). The original RNR ratings' record cards are now held by the Fleet Air Arm Museum but copies on film are at the National Archives at Kew. They are not on-line. From SA it would probably be easier to drop an e-mail to the FAAM.

http://www.fleetairarm.com/pages/research/archivep1.htm

Bless you Horatio

You should be an Admiral let alone a Major! Thanks for the info and for pointing me in the right direction. Being a member here is already paying dividends.

Regards

Rory

Men signed on for terms of 5 years and 15 years were needed for the LSGC.

• 2 months later...

Thanks to the guidance and good offices of members of this forum, the Fleet Air Arm Museum posted me a set of Brennen's documents. :rolleyes:

Several questions now arise:

1) He received Naval Prize Money, interim of 12 pounds and final of 18 pounds, however, no ship is mentioned - is this usual/normal ?

2) In what sort of circumstances would a chap receive prize money ?

3) He appears to have spent lots of time on HMS Reindeer - what was she, a quick google keeps throwing up ships of the same name but of a bygone age..

Pardon my ignorance of matters nautical but, that said and done, could anyone help please?

Rory

Hello Rory

There were two Reindeer's for the period you're after

HM Trawler REINDEER Launched 1902, Port Reg. GY. 1236, Admty No. 816. Requisitioned 1914 and converted to Minesweeper. Renamed REINDEER 11 1915.

HMS REINDEER (1883) Boom Defence vessel 1904, at Devonport 1910-14, salvage vessel 1917.

Hope that either links to your man

Regards John

Other threads on prize money include:

Colledge has HMS REINDEER (composite screw sloop 1883) Boom Defence vessel 1904, at Devonport 1910-14, salvage vessel 1917.

REINDEER Launched 1897, 1,281 tons. Hired 2/10/1914 as Minesweeper. I found a match with a GWR Weymouth ferry. I'd guess this was his ship.

http://www.simplonpc.co.uk/GWR2.html#anchor1477007

HM Trawler REINDEER II Launched 1902, 192 tons hired 1916-19. Only his ship if they've put the II after the name.

Thank you Per Ardua and John

This has more than satisfied my curiosity.

Regards

Rory