Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

If this is not HMS Iron Duke ...

Aurel Sercu

Another one from Iain's grandfather's correction ...

At the back it says : "HMS Iron Duke ?" (with the question mark)

But Iain has reason to believe this is not the Iron Duke (because of the one funnel).

Question : if not indeed, then what ship can this be ? Anybody any idea ?

Aurel

post-24-1070891301.jpg

Geoff,

After seeing a few photos on the internet (Google) and your reply, I think I agree. But I'm sure Iain will take over as soon as he gets on the Forum. (Right now he must be somewhere between Poperinge and Mons. Unless he has become homesick for Talbot House and returned...)

Aurel

The ship shown has four gun turrets and a second mast aft, Iron Duke had five turrets ( one central ) and no second mast.

Possibly Queen Elizabeth, Warspite, Valiant, Barham or Malaya.

Aye

Malcolm

post-24-1070904110.jpg

Hi All,

Just to throw in my two penn'orth.

I think it may be HMS CANADA.

Malcolm, if you look closely, there does appear to be a central turret and, abaft the forrard funnel there is, what appears to be, a RAS/Stump Mast which Queen Elizabeths didn't have.

post-24-1070905821.jpg

Greetings All!

This is a tricky one. I'm inclined to think it is Iron Duke (or a sister, Marlborough, Benbow, Emperor of India). The picture below shows a similar mast arrangment to the original picture, and the relative heights of the forward funnel and superstructure seem about right.

cheers

post-24-1070907059.jpg

Chris,

The problem, again, is the RAS/Stump mast.

With the 'Dukes' the mast is forrard of the aft funnel but this one's mast is abaft the forrard funnel.

Sorry teapots, I've just noticed that this reply shouldn't have been to you!! :o

HMS Canada. See p. 51 Jane's Fighting Ships 1919. The location of the searchlight platforms, the thickness of the second funnel, the bridge structures and the mast platforms make this quite clear.

Regards,

David

Hi All,

Just to throw in my two penn'orth.

I think it may be HMS CANADA.

Malcolm, if you look closely, there does appear to be a central turret and, abaft the forrard funnel there is, what appears to be, a RAS/Stump Mast which Queen Elizabeths didn't have.

I'm inclined to agree.

Aye

Malcolm

Hi Chaps, Thanks for your help in this one. The original photo is a tiny one and only after looking at some of the replies that you have given I have now spotted the second funnel, and yes Hussar, that does look like a central turret. It wasnt till Aurel Kindly scanned this photo onto the forum that I noticed the forward turrut on tghe ship :o I thought the forward turret was the raised one behind the forward one!! Thanks for all your help guys.

Iain

A golden opportunity was missed in 1959 when Almirante Latorre (ex-HMS Canada), the last British Dreadnought to have served at Jutland, was towed to the breakers. She survived in more or less original condition after her re-sale to Chile in 1920. How sad that all that remains of the Dreadnought era are the two 15" guns outside the IWM.

Horace,

Sad indeed. How many Dreadnoughts might have been saved? What else was available at such a late date? Goeben was offered for sale in 1966. USS Texas survives. Is she the only one?

Regards,

David

David,

I think you're right. Texas is the only Great War US Dreadnought to survive although 6 from WWII are preserved plus Iowa which I believe is still in reserve. Obviously Americans have a more enlightened approach when it comes to preserving their heritage than us. I forgot about Goeben / Yavuz. I believe she wasn't broken up until the 70's. How on earth did that one slip through the net?

Cheers,

Rich.

Horace,

Erich Groner,German Warships 1815 - 1945 Volume 1 Major Vessels, London, 1990 (English edition) says that Goeben/Yavuz was retained as a museum ship in Turkey and broken up in 1976.

Siegfried Breyer,Battleships and Battle Cruisers 1905 - 1970, London, 1973 (English edition) says that an offer was made to repurchase her by the Federal Government of Germany in 1963 but this was rejected. She was offered for sale in 1966.

Regards,

David

Martin

Definately Canada and NOT Iron Duke, no question.

Cheers

Rich.

post-24-1071405493.jpg

Yes. Different ships, one being an R class - if I remember correctly! Someone's bound to know exactly! That's the beauty of this Forum.

Regards,

David