Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lt B C MacDougall

Adrian Roberts

Last week end I looked round the graveyard of Keston Church for the first time, though I've lived not far away most of my life. It's near Biggin Hill airfield of Battle of Britain fame, and of course most of the CWGC graves were from WW2.

But there was also Lieutenant B C MacDougal, Royal Air Force, died 22nd September 1918. I looked him up on the CWGC website: he rejoiced in the name of Baldwin Childerboss MacDougall, and was with 141 squadron, which I know was a Home Defence unit based at Biggin Hill using Bristol F2Bs.

Anyone got any more info on him? Probably not KIA, so KIFA or the flu?

Adrian

Adrian

Lt Baldwin Childerboss MacDougall and Flt Cdt John Alexander Jenkins of No 141 Sqn were killed in an accident while flying in Bristol F2B C880 on 22 September 1918.

I hope this is helpful.

Gareth

Is "Flt Cdt" short for Flight Cadet?

If so, what status were these - presumably not yet Commissioned Officers?

Adrian

Yes, the unfortunate man was a Flight Cadet. As far as I know, the rank indicated a man who was about to start, or undergoing, pilot training. After graduation, the Flight Cadet would be commissioned as a Second Lieutenant. Perhaps in this case the Flight Cadet was attached to the squadron for operational experience prior to moving to a Training Depot Station.

Flt Cdt J A Jenkins was from Stirling, and is buried in Stirling (Valley) Cemetery.

Regards

Gareth

Home Defence squadrons in VI Brigade had a training commitment. After initial taining through Category A tests at an elementary NTS, prospective pilots were categorised. The most heavy handed were posted to advanced NTS for training as Night Light Bombing Pilots for the FE2b squadrons with the BEF. Those showing greater competence were posted to units in the north of England (and Scotland - 77 Sqn) fot training as Northern Defence Pilots. Those showing the greatest aptitude went to squadron in the South East for training as Day and Hight Fighting Pilots, who could serve on HD or join one of the night fighting squadrons in France (151 & 152). In all cases there were Category B & C tests to pass, the content of these depended on the intended final destination of the trainee.

141 Sqn was the exception in the LADA, in that it was equipped with 2-seaters. It had a training role and was issued with a few RE8s and at least one dual-control BF for the purpose. It seems likely that your man was training with the squadron.

Flight Cadet was a rank introduced by the RAF. Hitherto, trainees were commissioned before training commenced. There may have been an economic motive behind this - Flt Cdt pay, basic and flying, was less than that of a 2Lt.

Gareth, Mick

Thanks for this. Presumably therefore, Jenkins showed promise as a pilot.

Gareth - what was your reference for your info? ADGW? The reason I ask is that Jenkin's entry on the CWGC website says that his unit was 114 squadron, which surely should read 141. (114 were based in India). Going to the 'contact' link on that site, they say that when informing them of mistakes, documentation such as the person's service record must be sent. I can't get hold of that easily, but they may accept a reference, which for a book would need to include author, publisher etc.

Apart from that, I may see if my local paper has any info on the crash in their archives.

Adrian

Adrian

My source was indeed Airmen Died in the Great War by Chris Hobson, published by Hayward in 1995, ISBN 0 871505 81 X.

Regards

Gareth