Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Florence Hogg

keithchristmas

Hi,

I wonder whether someone could help me please find some futher information with regard to Florence Hogg.

Her name is listed on the War Memorial in Horsforth, West Yorkshire. From the CWGC web site I have discoved that Florence died on the 31/10/1918, and that she is buried locally in Horsforth Cemetery.

How can I find out where she might have served?

Many thanks,

Keith

Details

Surname HOGG

Firstname Florence

Service Number

Date Death

Decoration

Place of birth

Other

SNWM roll WOMEN'S SERVICES.

Rank Unknown

Theatre of death Unknown

Casualty Details

Name: HOGG, FLORENCE

Initials: F

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Voluntary Aid Detachment

Date of Death: 31/10/1918

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: Green 834

Cemetery: HORSFORTH CEMETERY

There is also a RAMC Private around the same date in Horsforth.

Probably Flu pandemic.

Aye

Malcolm

Hi,

I wonder whether someone could help me please find some futher information with regard to Florence Hogg.

Her name is listed on the War Memorial in Horsforth, West Yorkshire. From the CWGC web site I have discoved that Florence died on the 31/10/1918, and that she is buried locally in Horsforth Cemetery.

Many thanks,

Keith

Photo of Florence

John.

post-5661-1172789253.jpg

Hi,

Many thanks,

Keith

She served at Berrington War Hospital.

Many thanks,

I am amazed!! John, where did you find the photoghaph?

Jim, where abouts was the Berrington War Hospital?

Is it possible to establish the dates between which she served?

Kind regards,

Keith

Florence Hogg currently has no headstone in Horsforth Cemetery, although the CWGC have confirmed that this is on order. I went looking for her on behalf of Jim Strawbridge.

post-7183-1172941831.jpg

post-7183-1172941847.jpg

Peter,

Thanks for the photo of the Horsforth memorial. I visited again myself just last weekend. I noticed that there in another entry above for Thomas Hogg. This may have been her brother. He served in the 9th KOYLI, and died on 16/09/1916. Listed as 'missing' in the Leeds Roll of Honour.

Interested to learn that Florence grave currently has no headstone. Hopfully this will be resolved in the near future. I was intending to visit Horsforth Cemertery myself. Without the headstone, is it possible to identify her grave?

Regards,

Keith

Keith, I can send you a photo of the plot, which is grassed over, and a more general overview.

Please PM me.

Peter

Thanks for the photo of the Horsforth memorial. I visited again myself just last weekend. I noticed that there in another entry above for Thomas Hogg. This may have been her brother. He served in the 9th KOYLI, and died on 16/09/1916. Listed as 'missing' in the Leeds Roll of Honour.

Not brother and sister as they have different parents.

Jim,

Just returned from the Leeds Familiy History Centre. Yes, your quite right they are not brother and sister! They may of couse still be related. Thank you for taking the trouble to do the research.

I now know that her parents were Albert and Sarah E Hogg.

Can anyone help me find out any more with regard to her service as a nurse in the VAD? Is it possible to find out the period of her service and whether this was all spent at the Berrington War Hospital?

Kind regards,

Keith

• 1 month later...

I am delighted and privileged to be able to post a photo of the recently erected headstone in Horsforth Cemetery to Florence Hogg.

Lest We Forget

Peter

post-7183-1177516281.jpg

Peter,

Thank you so very much for taking the trouble to including a photograph of Florence' s new headstone. I will make a visit at the wekend to pay my respects.

I have recently learnt that after the war, 200 plus trees were planted along Stanhope Drive in Horsfoth. One for everyone listed on the War Memorial. So Florence also has her own tree.

Thank you to all the others who have contributed information.

Kind regards,

Keith