Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2 Lt Norman Arthur Bolton RFC.

timhog

Hi one and all.

One more name from the Shoreham record.

2Lt Norman Arthur Bolton R.F.A. / R.F.C. / Pilot U/T -RAeC Cert 1617 19-8-1915.

Any help??

Tim.

Hi Tim,

I had a lucky find. Part of the research I did for the book I'm writing on Number 6 squadron was to make a list of all its officers from the PRO at Kew. I had a look at what I copied and hey presto, 2nd lieutenant N A Bolton is there. The records have him as joining Number 6 in November 1915 and had his address at the end of the war as 2c Montague Mansions, Portman Square, London W. In looking at the Royal Flying Corps Communiques for 1915, he has a mention on 20th November 1915 whilst flying on a photographic sortie flight from Abeele aerodrome and I quote:

"2 Lt Bolton and 2 Lt Price in BE2c 2764 also saw the second Aviatik encountered by Lts Cave and Thomas - also of Number 6 squadron - and engaged it at the same time. The Aviatik was firing over its tail, the shots going wide."

In also found another entry in the Communiques for a Captain Boulton on May 29th 1916. As there is no mention of a 'Boulton' in Number 6 squadron records I thought it would be quite likely that he is none other than the same 'Bolton' you are looking for. The entry reads:

"Captain Boulton on a Bristol Scout of 6 Sqn, while on patrol over Ypres sighted a hostile machine over Noordshote, being fired on by AA guns. After a running fight over Poperinghe, Abeele and Menin, duriing which four drums were fired, the hostile machine, which had been diving all the time, almost looped and side-slipped badly, but afterwards flattened out. Capt Boulton recrossed the lines at 3,000 feet, being hevily shelled by the hostile AA guns."

In checking Henshaw's "The Sky Their Battlefield" I confirmed that this was the case and that his name had been misspelt in the Communiques. I found the following entries against his name:

20th November 1915

"BE2c 2674 No 6 squadron on photo recon over Hooge shared combat with second EA with BE2c 1713 at 6000 feet at 12:45 pm (2 Lt N A Bolton and 2 Lt G Price)."

17th January 1916

"Martinsyde G100 4735 No 6 squadron in combat with Fokker (second burst of fire caused spurt of flame from EA and then dived) over Gheluvelt at 10000 feet at 8:45 am, then engine poor plus AA fire, forced to land OK (2 Lt N A Bolton) first seen over Polygon Wood 2000 feet below, flames were possibly tracers."

9th February 1916

"Bristol Scout C 5299 No 6 squadron on patrol over Zonnebeke in combat with Fokker and 2 larger EAs at 9000 feet at 10:00 am - heavily shot up and damaged finally gun jam and then engine failed over Vlamertinghe. Forced to land OK (2 Lt N A Bolton) petrol leak had caused difficulty breathing but returned to continue combat."

29th May 1916 - by now promoted, first to lieutenant and then to flight commander and captain.

"Bristol Scout C 5311 No 6 squadron on patrol in combat with Aviatik over Ypres Salient (seemed out of control over Abeele / Poperinghe) and possibly hit again over Menin at 10000 feet at 3:50 am. OK (Capt N A Bolton)"

22nd June 1916

"BE2c 7335 No 6 squadron on artillery registration, combat with six EA over Hooge-Hollebeke-Dickebusch at 9:30 am to 10:30 am but only hit once by EA fire. OK (Capt N A Bolton / Lt Brymer)"

23rd June 1917 - by now Cpt Bolton has moved to No 21 squadron

"RE8 No 21 squadron on artillery observation, rifle fire (Capt N A Bolton wounded in action - no mention of observer's name)

Hope this helps you a bit.

Regards

Steve

Steve.

PURE GOLD. Thanks once again.

Tim.