Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

New website 1914-1918 Connections

mikelewis

I have started to construct a website called 1914 - 1918 Connections

The website concerns itself with two german aircraft of the period, LVG CVI and the Halberstadt CV.

As well as this I will also publish the diary of my great uncle Albert H lewis MM who served from 1916 to 1918 with 216 Siege Battery RGA.

What already exists of the site can be seen using the url http://www.mikerlewis.com

As this is a website in its very earliest days I would appreciate your comments, constructive criticism etc so that I can fine tune things to improve it.

The site is looking good and not too many bells and whistles.

My personal preference is for a site to look good but be functional, easy to understand and rich in content.

1 criticism is the diary button is a bit misleading. There should be some reference to what kind of diary it will be, especially as it is surrounded by aircraft links (if you see what I mean).

1 plus is I like the way you are using just a blank backgound (black, in your case) which means for faster loading and doesn't confuse the reader, ie with text on image or image on image.

Are you hand coding in HTML or using packaged software ?

Jarvis

The site is looking good and not too many bells and whistles.

My personal preference is for a site to look good but be functional, easy to understand and rich in content.

1 criticism is the diary button is a bit misleading. There should be some reference to what kind of diary it will be, especially as it is surrounded by aircraft links (if you see what I mean).

1 plus is I like the way you are using just a blank backgound (black, in your case) which means for faster loading and doesn't confuse the reader, ie with text on image or image on image.

Are you hand coding in HTML or using packaged software ?

Jarvis

Thank you for your comments, they are really useful.......you are right the diary button is minimal and some explanation on the welcome page would be useful......I have spent the last ten days...working this up from scratch (previously I have had no experience whatsoever in constructing a website) I use software from VDU which is a bit like Front Page so in answer to your last question yes I am playing about with the code when the software doesnt perform as I want it to.

The site will be full of original information and research on the three topics mentioned but as you probably know, these things take time. I wanted to keep the site user friendly but at the same time visually unique......but in the end it is the content that matters.

regards Mike

I think that the site will prove to be very useful as it develops.

Some comments if I may.

If I had a sight problem I would not like to try to read the various colours of text on the black background. They interact badly with each other. My advice would be to either use white text on a black background OR vice versa. If you must use a black background then stay away from having your navigation in blue text. it clashes.

I think that the site design concepts are good but are let down by the colour schema. Have a look at http://www.hypergurl.com/colormatch.php to see how you can match colours BUT their samples of text colours over backgrounds should only be followed with great care.

Essentially the rule is that website design should be 'accessible', and this applies especially to those with sight problems.

Later on you will need to do some work on the site's meta tags. Have a look on the web or on your software help pages for information.

Alternatively send me a PM if you want help with these things; it is what I 'do'

Good luck

Martin

I think that the site will prove to be very useful as it develops.

Some comments if I may.

If I had a sight problem I would not like to try to read the various colours of text on the black background. They interact badly with each other. My advice would be to either use white text on a black background OR vice versa. If you must use a black background then stay away from having your navigation in blue text. it clashes.

I think that the site design concepts are good but are let down by the colour schema. Have a look at http://www.hypergurl.com/colormatch.php to see how you can match colours BUT their samples of text colours over backgrounds should only be followed with great care.

Essentially the rule is that website design should be 'accessible', and this applies especially to those with sight problems.

Later on you will need to do some work on the site's meta tags. Have a look on the web or on your software help pages for information.

Alternatively send me a PM if you want help with these things; it is what I 'do'

Good luck

Martin

Thanks very much Martin for your invaluable suggestions.......I agree with you that the text is a bit "neon".... I will follow your advice and make the necessary alterations in the light of making the site more accessible. This is my first attempt and I really appreciate the constructive criticism.

regards

mike

Hi Mike,

Just as Martin 'does' the technical side of websites, I 'do' the language side of websites — checking and revising spelling, punctuation, style, layout, grammar, consistency, etc. Lots of sites that are technically excellent and full of good subject matter are let down by their language content. Yours is much better than many small business websites I see, but I did notice a few minor things that could do with attention.

Website creators often tell me that they become blind to these aspects after reading and re-reading the content innumerable times. I would suggest, therefore, that once you've finalised a new web page, you get someone with an eye for these details to go through it before you upload it. It's a thankless task and people often ask if it is necessary or worth it — I think it is, and in my experience a lot of other people do too, although they are usually too polite to say so.

Good luck with your very interesting site.

Mick

Just as Martin 'does' the technical side of websites, I 'do' the language side of websites — checking and revising spelling, punctuation, style, layout, grammar, consistency, etc. Lots of sites that are technically excellent and full of good subject matter are let down by their language content. Yours is much better than many small business websites I see, but I did notice a few minor things that could do with attention.

Hey Mick, perhaps we ought to work together! :D

Martin