Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

11th division post card

kirsten_millinson@hotmail.com

hello I wonder if all you wonderful people could help me again In my Auntys books and letters I have one which is a christmas card 1917-18 greetings for Christmas and the New Year from the 11 division.

On the back it says BE7 France as the address, Dear Sallie or Lollie Just a card wishing you alla happy Xmas This our latest card out

I think akll is well upto now I hope by next Xmas I shall be back I shall be back in old BlightyWith love to all

I remain your ever loving brother Georgexxx

Sad isnt it I dont know if he ever made it to blighty where was BE7 who were the 11 division?

can any body solve the mystery for me

best wishes to all Kirsten

post-13515-1172746209.jpg

Are you sure it doesn't say BEF? This the British Expeditionery Force ie the whole of the British Army on the Western Front.

Peter

Sad isnt it I dont know if he ever made it to blighty where was BE7 who were the 11 division?

can any body solve the mystery for me

best wishes to all Kirsten

What was George's surname Kirsten?

He can then be checked against the CWGC Roll of Honour, and you will find out if he made it home.

Hello

The 11th Infantry Division were located in the Mazingarbe - Nouex-Les-Mines area druing December 1917/ Jan 1918. They were holding the line in the Loos/lens/Hulluch area. If he was in the infantry he would have been in one of 3 brigades, 32, 33 or 34th. These had 4 Batalions each.

32nd brigade -

9th (service) Battalion the West Yorkshire Regiment

6th (service) Battalion East Yorkshire Regt

6th (Service) Battalion Yorkshire Regiment

6th (service) Battalion York and Lancaster Regt

33rd brigade -

6th (s) Lincolns

6th (s) Borders

7th (s) South Staffordshires

9th (s) Sherwood Foresters

34th Brigade

8th (s) Northumberland Fusiliers

9th (s) Lancashire Fusiliers

8th (s) Duke of Wellington's

11th (s) Manchester Regiment.

The 11th Division fought on Gallipoli. Spent 6 months in Egypt. arrived France 1 july 1916 - Arras and then Somme in Sept 1916. Held line near St Pierre Divion (Somme) winter of 1916/17. Fougth at Messines in June 1917. Held line near Ypres July 1917. Fought in 3rd Ypres - August and October 1917.

Moved to Loos/Lens front and remained there until August 1918. They then advanced and finished the war near Sebourg France.

stevem

Hello Kirsten

Here is the summary history of the 11th Division from the main site:

http://www.1914-1918.net/11div.htm

As you can see, george would have survived Passchendaele (Third Ypres) at the time he sent the card.

As Beppo said, if you let us have George's surname then it will be possible to find more out about him.

Regards

Mel

thankyou all so much, my problem is I dont know his surname it could be George Mumby,

thankyou for the information it could well say BEF that answers that problem it was in the front of a book presented to Lillian kate harrison from Burstwick in 1887 but of course it doent mean it was hers on with the hunt

Best wishes

Kirsten

hello again

I have found out thay My george Mumby was born in 1895 and was from Lincolnshire having looked on the medal roll I have found somegeorge Mumbys. My George was george Henry he was born on 1895 died 1960 so he survived!

I make it that he would be 22 in 1917 so could well have gone, his wife who he later married was from Grimsby and he certainlydied in Grimsby so he could well have been with the Lincolnshire regimentdoes this tie in with being in the BEF in 1917 /18

if any one can tell me what to do next I would appreciate it

If he was in the Lincolns and 11th Div then it has to be the 6th Bn (see earlier list of 11th Div) - but- just becasue he was from Lincs, does not guarantee he wa sin the Lincs Regiment. A number of my 9th Sherwood Foresters came from Lincs. If it helps ! he was not in the 9th Battalion Sherwood Foresters.

You could use the list of The 11th Div battalions to narrow the search. Of course it is possible that he was in something else - Royal Engineers, Artillery Service Corps etc.

Best of luck

Stevem

Milly I have checked the MICs thoroughly. There are no 'G' Mumbys and all the Georges are here:

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documen...mp;mediaarray=*

Which means that with casualties and the middle name beginning with H then there are only two candidates:

Medal card of Mumby, George

Corps: Royal Garrison Artillery

Regiment No: 108590

Medal card of Mumby, George

Corps: Royal Field Artillery

Regiment No: 88975

It is now down to Doris Stokes to divine which one :lol:

Regards

Mel

Milly

Forget Doris Stokes!

I have just had a look at Chris's Divisional summary:

Divisional Artillery

LVIII Brigade, RFA

LIX Brigade, RFA

LX Brigade, RFA (disbanded 5-13/2/1918)

LXI (H) Brigade, RFA (left Division on embarkation for Gallipoli)

CXXXII Brigade, RFA (joined 26/4/1916 in Egypt as a Howitzer Brigade, broken up 25/1/1917)

11th (Hull) Heavy Battery, RGA (a Battery of 4 4.7-inch guns which left the Division obefore embarkation for GAllipoli and joined XXXVIII Heavy Artillery Brigade.)

11th Divisional Ammunition Column

V.11 Heavy Trench Mortar Battery RFA (joined 9 August 1916, left 12 February 1918)

X.11, Y.11 and Z.11 Medium Mortar Batteries RFA (joined 9 August 1916; on 3 February 1918, Z broken up and batteries reorganised to have 6 x 6-inch weapons each)

The 11th Division had no RGA units after 1915 - so your George is the RFA man :P

Regards

Mel

Hi Kirsten and all,

Firstly Mel, just to clear up something the 1/5th and the 46th Division were never in Palestine! They were in Egypt for a couple of weeks, in late 16, but in December/January 1917 they were in the Cambrin (Loos) sector. However George Mumby, 241473 was 2/5th Lincs, later 8th battalion, so he can be ruled out (if I've read the medal rolls correctly that is!).

Mumby is a good old Lincolnshire name, but quite specific to North Lincolnshire (still is). There was a George H Mumby born in Elsham in 1896 on Ancestry.co.uk.

The name Mumby is also connected with Barton, Goxhill and New Holland in the northern most part of the county. People from here also had strong associations with Hull and East Yorkshire, and many joined East Yorks battalions.

There was a Territorial Artillery company based in Grimsby, connected to the (46th) North Midland Division.

Sorry to add to the confusion,

Regards,

Steve.

Kirsten,

This old topic may prove of interest,

Here

Despite G.Mumby appearing on the Elsham memorial, he does not have a CWGC entry!

Steve.

I am pretty sure the one born in elsham is my uncle no to sort out what else it all meant thanks do far for all the help kirsten

I am pretty sure the one born in elsham is my uncle no to sort out what else it all meant thanks do far for all the help kirsten

Whilst not wanting to confuse matters even further :D

Was he in the 11th Div or did he just get hold of the card to send home? The 46th Div where in the same area in Dec 17/Jan18. They had 1/4th (south of the county) and 1/5th Lincolns (north of the county). Both Territorial force units.

stevem :blink:

• 13 years later...

I also have one of these cards that was sent from my grandfather Frederick William George Walsh to my granny. My grandfather survived the First World War but unfortunately was killed in the Second World War.

As he was part of the 11th Division I am wanting to know how I find out if he was in Gallipoli in 1915?

Regards

Mary

• 3 years later...

Hi Kirsten

Here is a coincidence. My Father's elder brother, Hermann (Dutch) married Lillian Harrison of Burstwick in, I think,  1945. She was, I believe, serving with the ATS as a "spotter".