The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

gunfire magazine

andrew wilbraham

hi

i am trying to obtain a copy of the gunfire no.4 magazine. i have tried the usual avenues but have had no luck does anyone out there have a copy or know where i can obtain one

regards

andrew

hi

i am trying to obtain a copy of the gunfire no.4 magazine. i have tried the usual avenues but have had no luck does anyone out there have a copy or know where i can obtain one

regards

andrew

Have you tried Alf Peacock direct?

hi

i did get his name from a source but no contact details, would be good if you could pass them on i would be most greatful

andrew

Andrew.

Did the 'usual avenues' include GH Smith & Son? If not please try the link here as they reprint Gunfire.

GH Smith & Son

Click on the Gunfire 'icon' and Alf Peacocks contact details are also at the end of the page.

Good luck.

Neil

• 10 years later...

No idea how many but some were fascinating, others heavy on the editors particular opinions and views. He could extremely stroppy if you dared to disagree with his opinions.

According to his obituary, he was editing 'volume' 59 at the time of his death.

Andrew: I have a copy of Gunfire #4. I wish to retain it, but if you want something particular from that issue that is not too extensive PM me and I may be able to get it for you. The contents are:

A Chaplain's Lot, p 170-174

German Raid on the British Trenches near La Boiselle, April 11th, 1916, p. 175-202

Steel Has No Fatherland, p. 203-211

Crucifixion No. 2 p. 211-221

Jottings from Parliament, p. 222-223

Notes and Queries, p. 224-229

The (1916) Somme Film, p. 230-233

Before Endeavours Fade, p. 233-237

Review: The Christmas Truce, p. 238-240

Thanks for that Paul.

I had about 5 of my own, however I managed to pick up from EBay, issues 1 to 51 with about 5 missing from the set.

I could not believe I picked all this up and none else bid for them and they are in good condition. At a really good price.

Joe

• 10 months later...

Hello,

Just to revive this topic for a moment.

Does anybody know what happened to A.J. Peacock's collection?

I am trying to research some history of SSA13, FAU and there is an article in issue 58 of Gunfire called Hutchison, SSA13, FAU which is snippets from the diaries of the aforementioned Hutchinson and it says that they were"held at York" presumably by Peacock.

I am also interested in getting hold of Gunfire no 10 which has an article about Laurence Rowntree ( of the chocolates ) who also served in the unit.

Dave.