Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Nurse Kathleen (Katie) MacDonald

jlh1603

Hi! I was hoping someone could help me with this family mystery. My great grandmother's sister, Kathleen, was a nurse overseas during WWI. We aren't sure if she was in France or Britain, but she supposedly died when the hospital she was working in was bombed. Kathleen was born in Cape Breton, Nova Scotia; however, we aren't sure of the year. She could be older or younger than Nana who was born in 1879. I've tried looking in several areas (Nova Scotia 1911 census records, FamilySearch.org, etc.) to find any record of Kathleen, but so far no luck. This is what we know...

Name: Kathleen (Katie) MacDonald

Parents: Angus MacDonald (b. 1852 in Augusta or Portland, ME; d. July 3, 1911 Alder Point, Cape Breton, NS)

Flora (Floria) MacLean (b. July 15, 1853; d. Feb 1934 in Cape Breton)

Siblings: Mary Belle (my great grandmother) b. 1879 d. 1983; Alex b. Mar 1880 (drowned year unknown); Jennie; John; Elizabeth (Bessie); Florence; Dan - all birth and death dates unknown.

A soldier, Solomon LeBlanc who knew my Nana's family, reported when he returned to Cape Breton that he had seen Katie at a hospital "overseas" when he was injured (he was shot in the throat). After Solomon was released from the hospital, it was bombed. He assumed that Katie was killed in the bombing. The family "story" was that she moved to Boston after the war because she was angry with the family since no one had told her that her father had died while she was overseas; however, since Angus died in 1911 that doesn't seem to fit.

I know this is a little long-winded, but I'd appreciate any help that I can get, even if it's just another place for me to start searching. Thanks in advance! :D

Hi Jenn,

Just out of interest and a quick trawl of CWGC gives us this Katie, also with a late father named Angus. I'm not sure where Cape Breton lies in relation to Brantford though :D

Cheers, Jon

Hello Jenn, Whilst you are looking under the name of Kathleen most of the records are in the name of Katherine. You will find her attestation papers on line under this name. She was 5’2” tall, weighed 125 lbs and was a member of the Church of England. She embarked for England on the 6th April 1917. and was posted to 14 Canadian General Hospital on the 17th October 1917. On the 29th November 1917 she was posted to 10 Canadian Stationary Hospital. She arrived in France on the 28th January 1918. She was finally posted to 1 Canadian Gen. Hospital on the 8th March 1918 where she was killed in an enemy air raid attack on Etaples which unfortunately included the hospital. Five nurses were caught in their living quarters. Katherine MacDonald was killed instantly. She was buried in Etaples Military Cemetery; XXVIII. L. 8. I have a photograph of her headstone should you like it. Her medals, memorial cross and memorial plaque are said to now be with the Canadian War Museum, Ottawa. Records show her mother as Mary Maud MacDonald. You mention Flora (Floria) MacLean and I don't know where she comes into the picture.

Hello Jenn, this obituary comes from our local newspaper. I hope it helps.

Brantford Expositor May 23, 1918

German Frightfulness Again Vented on Wounded Soldiers and Their Attendants – Teuton Flyers “Did Not See” Red Cross Sign, but Say it’s Hospitals are Near Railways British Must Expect to Get Them Bombed

A Brantford nurse, Nursing Sister Katherine Maude Macdonald, whose mother and sister, Miss Florence Macdonald, chief operator of the Bell Telephone Company here, was among the nursing sisters who were victims of the Hun “frightfulness” raid on British hospitals behind the lines on Sunday last, when hundreds of wounded soldiers and members of the hospital personnel’s were casualties. Official word was received by Mrs. M.M. Macdonald, the mother, this morning from the Director of Record, Ottawa, the message being”

“Mrs. M.M. Macdonald, 165 Market Street, Brantford. – Deeply regret to inform you Nursing Sister Katherine Maude Macdonald, Medical Services, officially reported killed in action May 19, 1918, - Director of Records.”

In view of the fact that the great German raid on British hospitals took place on Sunday, May 19, as officially reported today, there is little doubt that she was one of the victims of the Hun devilishness. The office is a flagrant one, being in defiance of all moral and international law.

Miss Macdonald was a graduate of Victoria Hospital, London. She nursed privately here for some time, and then went to the London Military Hospital, where she served for some time. A year ago last Easter she went to England, and after military nursing there, was sent to France in the spring of this year.

Cheers,

Geoffrey in Brantford

JENN

Could this be her. Killed when 1st Canadian General Hospital, Etaples, France was bombed 19th April 1918

Name: MACDONALD, KATHERINE MAUDE MARY

Initials: K M M

Nationality: Canadian

Regiment/Service: Canadian Army Nursing Service

Unit Text: 1st Canadian Gen. Hosp.

Date of Death: 19/05/1918

Additional information: Daughter of Mary Maud and the late Angus Macdonald, of Brantford, Ontario.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: XXVIII. L. 8.

Cemetery: ETAPLES MILITARY CEMETERY

Tony

Thank you all for your quick replies, but the Kathleen you are all referring to isn't my relative. :( Brantford is in Ontario (3 provinces and about 1500km away from Cape Breton). I learned today that she may have become a nurse through the Red Cross in the States. She was working in Boston when she enlisted/joined, but no one is sure if she joined the Canadian or the American Forces.

Thank you all for your quick replies, but the Kathleen you are all referring to isn't my relative. :( Brantford is in Ontario (3 provinces and about 1500km away from Cape Breton). I learned today that she may have become a nurse through the Red Cross in the States. She was working in Boston when she enlisted/joined, but no one is sure if she joined the Canadian or the American Forces.

Hang on there Jenn, I still think that we have the right one. Katherine's father died at Cape Breton. There is no reason why the family could not have moved to Cape Breton some time after her birth. Remember very few nurses were casualties of enemy action (may be a dozen or so) and the family friend's recollection fits in. If she still had family in Brantford it would be quite natural for her to go to Ontario for training in Victoria Hospital, London. The only US nursing casualty with the surname was Elizabeth L. MacDonald of Wisconsin.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm positive that Kathleen Mac Donald from Brantford isn't my relative. My Great Great Grandmother was born in Cape Breton as were all of her children (including Kathleen); my Great Great Grandfather was born in Maine, USA and moved to Cape Breton as an adult where he married my GG Grandmother. Kathleen may never have been killed as the family friend believed. The family always said that she moved back to the States and so that may be the truth. If I find out anything, I'll post it here. Thanks for the help though!

Jenn

• 1 year later...
Guest lwojna
Hi! I was hoping someone could help me with this family mystery. My great grandmother's sister, Kathleen, was a nurse overseas during WWI. We aren't sure if she was in France or Britain, but she supposedly died when the hospital she was working in was bombed. Kathleen was born in Cape Breton, Nova Scotia; however, we aren't sure of the year. She could be older or younger than Nana who was born in 1879. I've tried looking in several areas (Nova Scotia 1911 census records, FamilySearch.org, etc.) to find any record of Kathleen, but so far no luck. This is what we know...

Name: Kathleen (Katie) MacDonald

Parents: Angus MacDonald (b. 1852 in Augusta or Portland, ME; d. July 3, 1911 Alder Point, Cape Breton, NS)

Flora (Floria) MacLean (b. July 15, 1853; d. Feb 1934 in Cape Breton)

Siblings: Mary Belle (my great grandmother) b. 1879 d. 1983; Alex b. Mar 1880 (drowned year unknown); Jennie; John; Elizabeth (Bessie); Florence; Dan - all birth and death dates unknown.

A soldier, Solomon LeBlanc who knew my Nana's family, reported when he returned to Cape Breton that he had seen Katie at a hospital "overseas" when he was injured (he was shot in the throat). After Solomon was released from the hospital, it was bombed. He assumed that Katie was killed in the bombing. The family "story" was that she moved to Boston after the war because she was angry with the family since no one had told her that her father had died while she was overseas; however, since Angus died in 1911 that doesn't seem to fit.

I know this is a little long-winded, but I'd appreciate any help that I can get, even if it's just another place for me to start searching. Thanks in advance! :D

Hello,

My name is Lisa Wojna and I'm currently researching a book on WWI Canadian heroes. Katherine MacDonald is one of my chosen profiles, and I'm very interested in speaking with members of her family who might remember her or have family stories about her. Obviously, by your question, you are also looking for information, but I noted your entry was fairly dated and perhaps you have made some contacts in the last while. Of course, I do understand there were two women of the same name and the woman you're looking for may not be the same lady I'm researching.

I'd certainly be interested in hearing if you've found anything concrete. I've been able to get some information via the Canada War Museum in Ottawa and a bit from the Nursing Sisters but so far not much. Very sad considering her contribution to the war effort and this country!

Sincerely,

Lisa