Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Newspaper Correspondent H.W. Nivenson

oak

Pals,

A contemporary book mentions Newspaper Correspondent H.W. Nivenson on board one of the ships off "V Beach," Gallipoli on 25 April 1915.

I would be very grateful if any Pal could give me any further information on him, please.

Regards,

Philip

Philip - if you Google for H W Nevinson (as opposed to Nivenson) you'll find quite a bit of info on someone who seems to be the right man.

Tom

Many thanks Tom,

My first reaction to your post was ' How could I have made such a basic error?' Happily my sight is not yet fading and my mistake was caused by the same misspelling in the contemporary book {'The Irish at the Front' by Michael MacDonagh (London 1916)}.

You have, of course, located the right man. Thanks again.

Regards,

Philip

He also wrote at least one book. The one I have is:

Nevinson, H. W. 'The Dardanelles Campaign', London, Nisbet & Co., 1918.

Thanks Bryn,

Does he say much about the 25 April 1915 landing at V Beach/Sedh-el-Bahr? He appears to have been on a ship offshore during the landing.

Regards,

Philip

His book was the first real history of the campaign and stands up fairly well today. It also has a superb detailed map of the trenches.

If the name seems even more familiar, his son was the well known war artist.

Philip,

He goes into quite a bit of detail on the landings. Was there anything in particular you were looking for?

As I recall, and I don't remeber at the moment where I read this, he was very much disliked by one or two of the other war correspondents - from memory Ashmead-Bartlett was one of them. In fact it might have been him (Nevinson) who alerted the authorities that Murdoch, the Australian journalist, was carrying Ashmead-Bartlett's criticisms of the campaign with him from Gallipoli to London.

His book was the first real history of the campaign and stands up fairly well today. It also has a superb detailed map of the trenches.

Thanks Martin,

Does it show the trenches at V Beach/Sedh-el-Bahr?

Thanks Bryn,

Does it go into much detail on the landing at V Beach/Sedh-el-Bahr? I am writing about the V Beach landing and am very interested in accounts that refer to any of the individuals/groups who took part. I am also interested in any references to the "SS. River Clyde."

Unfortunately Amazon.co.uk are out of stock of the book at present.

Regards,

Philip

Philip,

It shows the established allied trench lines later in the campaign - not the Turkish trenches around the time of the landing. There is some indication of this area in the Official History maps (not brilliant, though) and one of the volumes by Denham or Bush (I forget which) have one or two drawings showing some detail of the V beach area - but not as detailed as it could be.

Martin

The publishers still seem to have copies see:

Scholars book shelf

Many thanks Martin,

It sounds as if, perhaps, I should treat myself to a copy. :D

Regards,

Philip