Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2Lt George Hornby Birley.

timhog

Hi one and all.

One more name from the Shoreham list.

2Lt George Hornby Birley, Royal West Surrey Regt and RFC. Pilot U/T RAeC Cert 1760 15-09-1915.

All we have. Anyone able to help??

Tim.

Hello Tim - Just one brief mention of Birley in GERMAN AIR RAIDS ON BRITAIN 1914-1918 by Joseph Morris - On the night of 27/28th November 1916 when Zeppelin L.34 was shot down near West Hartlepool by Second Lieutenant I.V. Pyott of No. 36 Squadron from Seaton Carew.

Page 153.....The flare of the burning ship was seen as far north as Matfen, near Morpeth and as far south as Poppleton north of York. From the air it was seen by Captain G.H. Birley of No. 38 squadron at Buckminster, nearly 140 miles off.

Cheers Terry

Terry.

Thank you for the info, every little helps.

All the best.

Tim.

Dom.

Thanks for the clip. Fleet Air Arm?? don`t know, my first post was all we have on him.

Tim.

I only ask as there was a naval flyer called GH Birley, but i don't think it's same man. By the way, did you notice how his poor wife to be doesn't merit a first name?!

Dom

• 16 years later...

@timhog I'm not sure if you are still interested in the information about George Hornby Birley as I see this was posted many years ago but I think I may have some answers about his life... and questions too

20231107_142036.jpg

Screenshot_20231107-222514_Microsoft 365 (Office).jpg

Welcome to the forum VMAT, timhog hasn't visited the forum since June of last year, but you have tagged him which should alert him to your post. George Birley's RAF officer's personal file has been digitized as part of the AIR 76 series and is available from the National Archives as a free download after you have registered an account there.

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D8192482

He also has a casualty form available online, which will complement much of the information in his officer's personal file.

https://www.casualtyforms.org/form/636