Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Khaki Fever

owilki1984

Hi all,

I have been reading today about so called ‘Khaki Fever’ in the First World War.

In a nutshell this was the alleged phenomenon of young girls going crazy for the men in uniform who appeared in camps and depots all over the country in the early months of the war. (Others on this forum can probably define this much better than that, sorry if this is a bit too schoolboyish!) :)

Anyway I read today an interesting point - that this activity was probably the same sort of thing that went on in the 1960s when musicians like the Beatles toured or even more modern, in the 1990s with boy bands like Take-That. Hysteria and excitement for the latest craze if you like

Just thought I would open this idea to the forum.

Khaki fever – endemic to the First World War or simply part of a larger movement that would probably simply be teenage excitement?

Oli

Sassoon and Owen's view on the topic

Glory of Women

YOU love us when we’re heroes, home on leave,

Or wounded in a mentionable place.

You worship decorations; you believe

That chivalry redeems the war’s disgrace.

You make us shells. You listen with delight,

By tales of dirt and danger fondly thrilled.

You crown our distant ardours while we fight,

And mourn our laurelled memories when we’re killed.

You can’t believe that British troops ‘retire’

When hell’s last horror breaks them, and they run,

Trampling the terrible corpses—blind with blood.

O German mother dreaming by the fire,

While you are knitting socks to send your son

His face is trodden deeper in the mud.

Disabled

He sat in a wheeled chair, waiting for dark,

And shivered in his ghastly suit of grey,

Legless, sewn short at elbow. Through the park

Voices of boys rang saddening like a hymn,

Voices of play and pleasure after day,

Till gathering sleep had mothered them from him.

About this time Town used to swing so gay

When glow-lamps budded in the light blue trees,

And girls glanced lovelier as the air grew dim,

In the old times, before he threw away his knees.

Now he will never feel again how slim

Girls' waists are, or how warm their subtle hands.

All of them touch him like some queer disease.

There was an artist silly for his face,

For it was younger than his youth, last year.

Now, he is old; his back will never brace;

He's lost his colour very far from here,

Poured it down shell-holes till the veins ran dry,

And half his lifetime lapsed in the hot race

And leap of purple spurted from his thigh.

One time he liked a blood-smear down his leg,

After the matches, carried shoulder-high.

It was after football, when he'd drunk a peg,

He thought he'd better join. He wonders why.

Someone had said he'd look a god in kilts,

That's why; and maybe, too, to please his Meg,

Aye, that was it, to please the giddy jilts

He asked to join. He didn't have to beg;

Smiling they wrote his lie: aged nineteen years.

Germans he scarcely thought of; all their guilt,

And Austria's, did not move him. And no fears

Of Fear came yet. He thought of jewelled hilts

For daggers in plaid socks; of smart salutes;

And care of arms; and leave; and pay arrears;

Esprit de corps; and hints for young recruits.

And soon, he was drafted out with drums and cheers.

Some cheered him home, but not as crowds cheer Goal.

Only a solemn man who brought him fruits

Thanked him; and then enquired about his soul.

Now, he will spend a few sick years in institutes,

And do what things the rules consider wise,

And take whatever pity they may dole.

Tonight he noticed how the women's eyes

Passed from him to the strong men that were whole.

How cold and late it is! Why don't they come

And put him into bed? Why don't they come?

Dave I am not a big poetry man, But that second one certainly moved me . "MO"

Hi,

Very interesting link with the poetry. Contrasts the excitement with the harsh reality of war. As has been commented, it is very moving

Thanks

Oli

an interesting point - that this activity was probably the same sort of thing that went on in the 1960s when musicians like the Beatles toured or even more modern, in the 1990s with boy bands like Take-That.

You mean Green Day and My Chemical Romance for me ;)

Not suprised really about this "khaki fever" as I think I may have it today *swoons*. Quite grim really though if you think about it :(

There's a good letter from McCudden VC I think (might just as easily be one of the other McCudden brothers though) to one of the sisters, Kathleen; where he is laughing at her over the female obsession with men in uniform. She must have in her late teens at the time.

Hello Oli,

While Khaki Fever was a phase associated with adolescence, it did have serious repercussions in the way that female sexuality came to be seen and regulated during World War One. You don't need to look any further than the Defence of the Realm Act and some of the legislation which was drafted in towards the latter end of the war. Angela Woollacott's essay is a good place to start or look further into "Khaki Fever and its Control".

Cheers,

Dave

Hello Oli,

While Khaki Fever was a phase associated with adolescence, it did have serious repercussions in the way that female sexuality came to be seen and regulated during World War One. You don't need to look any further than the Defence of the Realm Act and some of the legislation which was drafted in towards the latter end of the war. Angela Woollacott's essay is a good place to start or look further into "Khaki Fever and its Control".

Cheers,

Dave

Hi Dave,

I have read Woollacotts essay and I must say I found it very interesting. It was from that that I got this idea of the paralle with rock/pop stars.

I am not sure I agree with all that this article says though.

For example it talks about Khaki fever dying down after a few months due to women being included in the forces. They dont need to kling on to the men for a war expereince because they become part of the war experience.

But if you look at volunteer rates for men these are high in the first few months of the war but then die down, leading to campaigns such as Kitcheners The Army Needs YOU.

Given this I would say that Khaki fever is one and the same. The initial excitement that spurs young men to join also manifests itself in the young women. As the general feeling declines (the novelty wears off) the phenomonon dissapears.

Additionnaly I very much liked Woollacotts ideas about the Women's Police force. The article is well worth a read

Regards

Oli

Hi Oli,

You could be right, and patriotism is manifest in many ways, with men rushing to join the colours, and some women and young girls rushing to join the men, but I think Woollacott also alludes to the 'gendering of patriotism', and how female behaviour was defined in terms of impropriety and the perceived shift in immorality. There is also that of freedom and independence to consider, and while it is certainly true that women had more opportunities during the war than before, I would also say that this doesn't hold up under closer scrutiny. The fracture and split within the women's movement in general is one example, particularly if you consider this in terms of complicity and collusion, and those who were for and against the politics of reform. I think this is highlighted in Philipa Levine's work on the formation of the Women's Police Volunteeers, and the contradictory stance which Nina Boyle took on the 'persecution of women' both before and during the war. Boyle was one of the co-founders of the Women's Freedom League and the Women's Police Volunteers. Freedom and policing do not necessarily go hand in hand, as I'm sure you'll agree. ;) and this is only too evident in the ambiguity of Boyle's politics and stance on 'khaki fever' and impropriety during the war--not to mention the concerns and fears of others.

Cheers,

Dave

There is also that of freedom and independence to consider, and while it is certainly true that women had more opportunities during the war than before, I would also say that this doesn't hold up under closer scrutiny. The fracture and split within the women's movement in general is one example, particularly if you consider this in terms of complicity and collusion, and those who were for and against the politics of reform.

By this, are you in part talking about women trying to get the vote? Because it would be interesting to see if 'khaki fever' was as strong in places such as New Zealand and Australia where women had had the vote for 20 years whilst those in the UK were still trying. Although I suppose there was most probably still some sort of movement for 'equality' in other issues. Not to mention that women in the UK were closer to the front and seeing men on leave where that was not happening in the antipodes.

Allie

By this, are you in part talking about women trying to get the vote? Because it would be interesting to see if 'khaki fever' was as strong in places such as New Zealand and Australia where women had had the vote for 20 years whilst those in the UK were still trying. Although I suppose there was most probably still some sort of movement for 'equality' in other issues. Not to mention that women in the UK were closer to the front and seeing men on leave where that was not happening in the antipodes.

Allie

Sylvia Pankhurst and the East London Federation stood out against the war and for social justice, but after 1914 the majority of the WSPU were pro war, in the VADs and then the womens services etc etc.

The last great demonstration by the Suffragettes was the, so called, "Mud March" when Christabel Pankhurst led a "Right to Serve" demonstration by some 30,000 women. Out of a wet and muddy London park, and carrying banners like "Shells Made by a Wife May Save Her Husbands Life".

In Sussex a Mrs Dacre-Fox spoke in favour of the war and against Conscientious Objection. By the 1930s Mrs Dacre-Fox was one of Mosley's Fascists - British Union candidate for Brighton.

Some would say that all that the WSPU did before 1914 in an attempt to gain the vote was futile. That what actually got the vote for women was "coming onside" for the establishment during the war.

Note that when women over 30 got the vote, working class men over 21 did too. These men had not been fighting for the vote, nor attacked art or letter boxes or jumped in front of horses. They just "did their bit", and the vote was their reward.

Veering off topic a little here... gosh, you mean that some of-age men didn't have the vote in 1914?

My opinion regarding khaki fever versus other teenage/adolescent 'fads' is that the latter is probably more greatly attributable to having a disposable income than the former.

Allie

There was some cynicism in the humour, I know this has been posted before but i love it.

Mick

Hi,

I think this image is great. :D It can also be linked with some of the war poetry. Often Sassoon and Own felt almost hatred towards women who held views like this. It was the lack of understanding the women had as compared to the reality that they knew.

Not sure about the view about the of disposable income as the defining factor between the ‘khaki fever’ girls and the teenage rockers/poppers quite holds up.

I mean ‘Khaki fever’ dies down after the first few months of the war, yet during 1915 and 1916 many young girls went to work in the factories etc, and they began to get disposable income.

They could do things like go out on their OWN. (Shock Horror). :D So if this is a factor that effects such activity you would expect it also to appear in the war (perhaps it does? – i.e. the link?)

Finally on the Women’s Police Force, Woollacott says in her article that these women may be evidence of a different form of form of ‘Khaki fever’ themselves. They used the police force as the outlet for their fever. Interesting idea I thought. The so-called prevention of ‘Khaki fever’ is also the symptom!! :blink:

More broadly perhaps 'Khaki fever' should simply be called war fever, and all the various forms of this categorised in the same way. Gendering is certainly functioning but does in need to. As I mentioned above both men and wome were excited about war - why differentiate?

Regards

Oli

Some points for further thought:

1) Men in military uniform would have reinforced their masculine appeal to sexually repressed women

2) Shortages of men especially younger men would have increased as the war dragged on making 1) supra even more appealing to females

3) Uniforms of any type would have overwhelmingly marked the male individual as part of the larger group which stood for King and Empire which in turn would have fuelled the patriotism that would have been fuelled by the ever larger numbers of women working either in war related industries or as a direct result in civilian type occupations caused by male labour shortages attributable to the war

4) War time socialization embodying an even more significantly increased elevation of imperial and military prowness via propaganda of all sorts would have mythologized the tommy into the "Kiplingesque" KHAKI hero thereby legitimatizing not only hero worship but more purely social and even intimate relations between the sexes which would have been seen as fostering imperial, national and military war aims at least subconsciously

5) The exponentially increase in soldier social welfare agencies would naturally have increased the potential for social and sexual relations and the opportunities thus would only have fuelled natural human interests in the opposite sex and sexual relations

Hope my anaylsis is not too "over the top." :D:D

1) Men in military uniform would have reinforced their masculine appeal to sexually repressed women

It never worked for me!

Mick

:lol: Poor you, Mick. I was like a quick-change artist. :lol: You should have flashed your personal photo and told 'em what they were missing. :lol:

Cheers,

Dave

Hi Dave,

The majority of what you say I think is dead on. But just on this first point - Dont you think that the military uniform would have reinforced mens masculine sexual appeal full stop!

Also I am not to sure that the women had to be sexually repressed to get bitten by the bug so to speak.

Just to take some of what you say further, you talk about uniform uniformally. DO you think that all uniforms held the same appeal. For example would a Tommy in his best turned out uniform achive the same attention as say a pilot in his.

I think their is also a job status that improves the appeal as well as uniform.

However, please dont think that I am being picky with your post. As I say I agree with what you say. :D

Regards

Oli

You might be better off asking Mr Gilinsky, Oli. :D It was John who made the most valid points regarding attraction to uniform, though I'm not necessarily convinced that status means a great deal in some cases. I know some young women and girls in Leeds who constantly hang around bus drivers-which is not to knock bus drivers-but their uniform is hardly what you would call sexy or superior. Likewise, the Sally Army or St. John Ambulance uniform, but I suppose attraction is subjective and dependent on factors other than my own personal preferences. I actually felt more comfortable in my working rig [No. 8s] than No. I RN suit, and the Army or RAF never appealed to me when I decided to join the forces.

Cheers,

Dave

Hi Dave,

The majority of what you say I think is dead on. But just on this first point - Dont you think that the military uniform would have reinforced mens masculine sexual appeal full stop!

Also I am not to sure that the women had to be sexually repressed to get bitten by the bug so to speak.

Just to take some of what you say further, you talk about uniform uniformally. DO you think that all uniforms held the same appeal. For example would a Tommy in his best turned out uniform achive the same attention as say a pilot in his.

I think their is also a job status that improves the appeal as well as uniform.

However, please dont think that I am being picky with your post. As I say I agree with what you say. :D

Regards

Oli

Er, my name is John (from across the big pond).

Toronto exactly.

Yes you elaborate and make a good point.

Officers vs other ranks uniform.

RFC/ RAF uniform vs Infantry

Guards uniforms vs Line Infantry

Medical Corps or Engineer Corps vs Line Infantry etc.etc....

You might be better off asking Mr Gilinsky, Oli. :D It was John who made the most valid points regarding attraction to uniform, though I'm not necessarily convinced that status means a great deal in some cases. I know some young women and girls in Leeds who constantly hang around bus drivers-which is not to knock bus drivers-but their uniform is hardly what you would call sexy or superior. Likewise, the Sally Army or St. John Ambulance uniform, but I suppose attraction is subjective and dependent on factors other than my own personal preferences. I actually felt more comfortable in my working rig [No. 8s] than No. I RN suit, and the Army or RAF never appealed to me when I decided to join the forces.

Cheers,

Dave

Thanks for the address correction.

The point of uniforms is that especially to younger and less experienced females the act of wearing ANY (or almost ANY) uniform denotes societal acceptance and normalcy which females fine alluring - the hunt for a stable family breadwinner.

Hi John, :D (Yes got it this time)

So sorry for the mistake. No excuses. Seems I cant read - which will be a bit of a problem on the forum. :blink:

Dave :D (yes think this is the right name). I know I started this thread off by paralleing the excitement of teenage girls in WWI to the fans of pop starts in the 1960s & 1990, but I must say I never thought about the appeal of a Leeds City Bus driver. When I first read the idea about pop stars I was intrigued, and your idea is even more 'out side the box'.

Yet it still holds weight in the debate. Personally I dont quite see the bus driver having the same appeal as say a WWI fighter pilot in his uniform - Again I think this links back to what I said about the status/role having a part to play. But the base idea of the uniform holding some allure certainly fits the bill. Spot on

Cheers

Oli

Not to go off on a tangent and I fairly certain without even undertaking a search on this forum alone that the illeteracy rates amongst the BEF must have been statistically significant at least if not even worse than this 10 or more per cent of the grand total! So, please don't worry!

:D:lol: