Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Faversham WW1

Kevin Keeley

I have come across a photograph of my father with other soldiers on the back of which is written "Mick with his pals at Faversham." He enlisted in 3rd West Lancashire RFA in August 1914, aged 16, but from his MIC seems not to have gone to France until October 1915 when 55th Division were attached to 2nd Canadian Division. Apart from finding his service records is there any way of working out what he did from enlisting to going to France? Where was "training" done? Would initial training be done locally in Liverpool and then moved to Faversham?

I am continually impressed just reading various posts - a lot of knowledge out there which beats the television.

Regards

Kevin Keeley

Faversham had a gun powder mill - was he possibly assigned to guard duty there? See

www.roll-of-honour.com/Kent/FavershamExplosion.html

The 55th West Lancashire Division's annual training, as a complete unit, was at Caerwyns in North Wales. The Division had just begun their annual training when war was declared so they were recalled to their peace stations, mobilisation started and many were sent overseas. It was because reinforcements were urgently required for the Regular Army that from October 1914 - May 1915 a steady flow of battalions, RE Companies and Field Ambulances proceeded overseas and were attached to units of the Regular Army, they did not therefore go over as a complete Division.

They began recruiting and the Division was ordered to Kent for training under the command of Major-General J B Forster. It would appear then that your father was one of the new recruits.

Hope this helps

Barbara

Kevin

Your subject would doubtless have gone to the Artillery Gunnery School at Larkhill Wilts at some time during his training. He may also have been inducted at the local RFA No 2 Depot at Preston Lancs and possibly been attached to the strength of the 2A Reserve Brigade of the RFA at the same location prior to, and possibly after, his gunnery training had been completed.

Where Faversham comes in I can't say ! There were various Artillery units in the vicinity of both Sheerness and Dover Kent and it is possible that he was part of the defensive coastal organisation prior to being shipped to France and Flanders in 1915.

Best wishes

Sotonmate

Kevin

I can't speak for 3rd West Lancs RFA being in Kent but can say for certain that the 2nd were based in Westerhamin Kent from October 1914 until June 1915 before going overseas in September 1915.

A couple of years ago I did a little research for a friend of my sister whose Grandfather had served in 11th Battery 2nd West Lancs, a territorial unit raised in the Preston area.. She has a several photos, his Victory medal and, suprisingly, a visitors book which she said came from Froghole Farm in Kent.

This was either the HQ of, or in the vicinity of where they were stationed. It contains names, addresses and service numbers of all visitors to the establishment from Feb to April 1915; obviously with many duplications. The final pages have a number of Canadian entries which ties in wioth the attachment to 2nd Canadian Div'n.

This book and other mementos have subsequently been donated to the Museum of Lancashire, in Preston. There were a couple af articles in the local newspaper last year

1. About a recently published book 'Uncle Charlie Comes Home' by Dave Bateman which tells the story of Westerham and includes coverage of the connections with 2nd West Lancs

2. About the lady's donation of the visitors book to the museum and a bit about her Grandfather

I will try to dig them out and can post them if I can get a good enough scan. Let me know if you are interested.

I also photographed the visitors book so would be willing to do lookups.

Peter

Should you be interested, we have some excellent information on Faversham all ready to be viewed when we upload Kent on http://www.drillhalls.org in the very near future. Local people have been most helpful to us.

Gwyn

Should you be interested, we have some excellent information on Faversham all ready to be viewed when we upload Kent on http://www.drillhalls.org in the very near future. Local people have been most helpful to us.

Gwyn

I am very interested and look forward to you being uploaded. Many thanks also to the other replies to my question all of which help in different ways.

Regards

Kevin Keeley

Hi Kevin

It has been, now, but perhaps on reflection it probably won't be what you're looking for. The link in my signature will take you there and the database is listed in the menu at the left.

Apologies if you feel misled. :(

Gwyn

I am very interested and look forward to you being uploaded. Many thanks also to the other replies to my question all of which help in different ways.

Regards

Kevin Keeley

Gwyn,

I have had a look and don't feel mislead at all. Though not covering my particular location it gives a good taste of drill halls etc of the period. I have always been a "detail" man not a twitcher (seen it, ticked it off and now for something new) and try and get inside the history of the times. Your site tells me there is a lot to be learned. Many thanks.

Regards

Kevin Keeley <_<

• 13 years later...
On 27/02/2007 at 20:55, punjab612 said:

Kevin

I can't speak for 3rd West Lancs RFA being in Kent but can say for certain that the 2nd were based in Westerhamin Kent from October 1914 until June 1915 before going overseas in September 1915.

A couple of years ago I did a little research for a friend of my sister whose Grandfather had served in 11th Battery 2nd West Lancs, a territorial unit raised in the Preston area.. She has a several photos, his Victory medal and, suprisingly, a visitors book which she said came from Froghole Farm in Kent.

This was either the HQ of, or in the vicinity of where they were stationed. It contains names, addresses and service numbers of all visitors to the establishment from Feb to April 1915; obviously with many duplications. The final pages have a number of Canadian entries which ties in wioth the attachment to 2nd Canadian Div'n.

This book and other mementos have subsequently been donated to the Museum of Lancashire, in Preston. There were a couple af articles in the local newspaper last year

1. About a recently published book 'Uncle Charlie Comes Home' by Dave Bateman which tells the story of Westerham and includes coverage of the connections with 2nd West Lancs

2. About the lady's donation of the visitors book to the museum and a bit about her Grandfather

I will try to dig them out and can post them if I can get a good enough scan. Let me know if you are interested.

I also photographed the visitors book so would be willing to do lookups.

Peter

• Admin

Welcome to the forum Roy. This is a very old thread and the original poster hasn't logged onto the forum for two years ;  is there something specific you need to add or know?

Michelle 

hi to kevin & peter. relating to.  1.   i have the book u/ c.  comes home, but little of 2nd west lancs r.f.a. is in it.   but a good read.

no.2.   if i can help you both, it was my sister who donated all to the preston museum & i later gave them grandads 2nd medal.

there was a full page write up if you can recover it,    it was in the lancashire eve. post   AUGUST. 21.  2006.

NOW 27-7-2020 i am planning to go down memory lane & a couple of days around westerham.  the visitors book is not of westerham froghole farm, but was my grandads record book of  his army mates at preston.     froghole farm is where he stayed when he returned back injured,   how do you know of this & did you know shirley.

i struggle with the computer, so if any contact, can you PM please

many thanks  roy.

7 minutes ago, Michelle Young said:

Welcome to the forum Roy. This is a very old thread and the original poster hasn't logged onto the forum for two years ;  is there something specific you need to add or know?

Michelle 

thanks for contact, just seen comments of punjab612 & kevin keeley, thought they may be on my grandads research that i am doing.

• Admin

I've removed your email address from public view; we discourage members from posting personal information, as spammers can harvest it and inundate you with unsolicited mails. We have a private messaging system which members have access to.

Michelle 

1 minute ago, Michelle Young said:

I've removed your email address from public view; we discourage members from posting personal information, as spammers can harvest it and inundate you with unsolicited mails. We have a private messaging system which members have access to.

Michelle 

thanks, i'm new to this, hopeless on computer, so learning all the time.  sorry.