Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

LT. W. AITKEN 151 SQD.

Alan Peacock

Can anyone give info. on Lt. W. Aitken 151 Sqd. who shot down a Gotha bomber on

23.08.1918. or info. on any subsequent combat claims he may have claimed.

Cheers ,

Alan.

Alan

From a glance through the standard references it looks like Lt W Aitkin's only credited victory was the Gotha he brought down at 0035 on 23 August 1918 when flying Camel D9445. In case you don't have the details, the enemy aircraft was Gotha G.Vb 922/18 of Bogohl III/Bs 17. The crew was Uffz Karl Heer (pilot), Ltn d R Oskar Kalthoff (observer), and Gefr Robert Thomas (gunner); all were killed in action.

Lt Aitkin is also mentioned in The Camel File as overshooting on landing, and then stalling and overturning Camel F2083 of No 151 Sqn on 26 June 1918.

I hope that this is useful.

Gareth

Alan

From a glance through the standard references it looks like Lt W Aitkin's only credited victory was the Gotha he brought down at 0035 on 23 August 1918 when flying Camel D9445. In case you don't have the details, the enemy aircraft was Gotha G.Vb 922/18 of Bogohl III/Bs 17. The crew was Uffz Karl Heer (pilot), Ltn d R Oskar Kalthoff (observer), and Gefr Robert Thomas (gunner); all were killed in action.

Lt Aitkin is also mentioned in The Camel File as overshooting on landing, and then stalling and overturning Camel F2083 of No 151 Sqn on 26 June 1918.

I hope that this is useful.

Gareth

Gareth,

Many thanks for the info. just what I required.

Cheers ,

Alan.