Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lost Great Uncle

knype@msn.com

I have a posting under soldiers re my Great Uncle who I have evidence died in the Great War but could not find any record anywhere. I now believe that he served under the alias of G.RITCHARDSON RMLI RND Lance corporal. Can anyone help be in how I go about seeing the servive record of GEORGE RITCHARDSON.

Thanks Philp Plimbley knype@msn.com

I too am searching for a great uncle died WW1.

Unfortunately, all I have to go on is name O'CONNELL.

Story we were told was he ran away to join navy when he was underage. He apparently stole an older brother's birth cert in order to enlist.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

He was originally from Cork city, Cork, Ireland. Parents: Philip and Elizabeth O'Connell (nee Barrett)

Thanks,

Laura.

Philip

If you modify your post description to include RMLI & RND you should attract people on the forum who know about both units.

There is only one match on the CWGC site

Name: RITCHARDSON, Initials: G, Nationality: United Kingdom, Rank: Lance Corporal

Regiment/Service: Royal Marine Light Infantry, Unit Text: 1st R.M. Bn. R.N. Div. Service No: PLY/864(S)

Date of Death: 27/10/1917

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead, Grave/Memorial Reference: XII. C. 10. Cemetery: DOZINGHEM MILITARY CEMETERY

His service register is on microfilm at Kew in ADM 159/176. His enlistment papers are probably at the Fleet Air Arm Museum.

All the best

per mare per terram

Laura

Welcome to the forum!

That is a tall order as you have so little to go on. There was less need to lie about your age to join the Navy, they took boys of 15 and sent them to sea (and battle) at 16.

The Commonwealth War Graves Commission web site helps you find people who died from war related causes up to 1921. It shows 9 O'CONNELLs with a connection to the sea, but that might not be the spelling that he used. Three are too old for anyone to claim they might have been underage. You'll have to check through the others.

http://www.cwgc.org/search/SearchResults.a...1&send.y=12

The online registers of Royal Navy Seaman's service show 40 men who declaired their birthplace to be Cork. It is £3.50 per download and they do not give next of kin. It would be cheaper for you to look at them in Kew if you can get there.

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documen...mp;mediaarray=*

All the best

per mare

Thanks for the help Lieut-Colonel,

I have already trawled through cwgc, as you suggested, with no luck. It's like trying a needle in a haystack. The only other information I have is that his mother was sent some sort of "pension" after he died, so I'm presuming surname must have been correct (or near enough). Also, he must have given correct address. What would your valuable opinion be?

As I live in Cork, Ireland, my chances of getting to Kew are slim.

I know his older brother Patrick O'Connell (born 1900) also served WW1 and thankfully survived and lived to a ripe old age, but has since passed. Is it possible to get his service record? I don't know if he served in army, navy or what .....

Thanks again,

Laura.

Dear Philp,

The RND Roll of Honour gives his next-of-kin as Mother, Ellen, 5 Gibson St., Tunstall, Stoke-on-Trent, Staffs.

Does this tie in? Would be very interested if so. I have no alias listed.

More details from the above:-

Died of wounds in 47th Casualty Clearing Station (BW Abdomen 26/10/17).

Draft for MEF 5/10/15, joined RM Cyclist Company 27/10/15-9/12/15 Dysentery, rejoined RM Cyclist Company 26/4/16-17/6/16 to Base Depot Etaples, to 3rd Army School of Mortars 3/8/16, joined 2nd RM Bn.(Medium Trench Mortar Battery) 20/8/16-29/10/16 GSW right leg & Arm, Invalided to UK 1/11/16 ; Draft for BEF 10/4/17, joined 1st RM Bn. 4/5/17-26/10/17 BW Abdomen.

TTFN

John

Dear Philp,

The RND Roll of Honour gives his next-of-kin as Mother, Ellen, 5 Gibson St., Tunstall, Stoke-on-Trent, Staffs.

Does this tie in? Would be very interested if so. I have no alias listed.

Lifted from Philip's other thread...........

I have a great Uncle George Richardson Plimbley. A death plaque or "Dead mans penny" was issued and he is listed as G.R.Plimbley in the roll of honour for Tunstall Stoke-on-Trent.

I think the mystery is more or less resolved :)

Nice one John.

Andy.

Yeah, I shoulda read the rest first. And his mum was named Ellen.

Yeah, I shoulda read the rest first. And his mum was named Ellen.

Yes mother was Ellen Plimbley of Tunstall.So that does match. Dead mans penny has large H

Thanks for everthing where do I go from here, can I get things changed into his correct name? Philip.

It is not a case of correct name but of real name and alias name. If you can finally prove that these are the same men, CWGC would record both names in their Debt of Honour.

They record men under the name by which they were known in the army and so his headstone would have Ritchardson as the main name with a preceding inscription 'Plimbley served as'. The online database would have a cross-referenced entry for both names.

You will have to submit your evidence to CWGC. You can do this via their website. Bear in mind you will have to prove via official documentation that Ritchardson was Plimbley. Put all your documentation together and see if it forms an obvious connection in the mind of someone who has no prior knowledge.

Yes mother was Ellen Plimbley of Tunstall.So that does match. Dead mans penny has large H

Thanks for everthing where do I go from here, can I get things changed into his correct name? Philip.

Also notice in the Staffordshire Sentinel efers to him having dsyentry

You still need to prove that these were the same people.

As far as I can see you need to:

- Visit the NA to look up his service register file in ADM 159/176.

- Contact the Air Fleet Arm Museum for his enlistment papers.

- Gather as much information on his civilian life as possible e.g. birth certificate (dates of birth and death that agree would be reasonably compelling evidence, I would think).

- Obtain his Overseas Death Certificate to see if it adds any further information.

Then review these for all the points of agreement.

If your still convinced then you can ask for the change. The CWGC HAVE to be 100% convinced before they change things, since even a slight chance that the wrong man's grave is changed is as bad as nothing being done.

Steve.

(EDIT: What made me think I would answer before Terry? :D)

The "circumstantial" evidence here is fairly strong as I see it, but like Terry says CWGC have to be convinced.

You'd be amazed at the coincidences of the war with people with similar names, stories, numbers, etc. being confused for each other!

Steve.

Philip

I don't know if you ever found them on the 1891 Census but I believe this could be them recorded as Richardson:

8, Barn St, Stoke upon Trent

John Richardson, 44, Potters Mould Maker, Staffs Tunstall

Ellen Richardson, 35, Shropshire Bridgnorth

Mary A Richardson, 15, Staffordshire Middleport

Edith L Richardson, 10, Shropshire Bridgnorth

Florence M Richardson, 6, Staffordshire Forsbrook

Jack H Richardson, 4, Staffordshire Florence(?)

Charles J Richardson, 1, Staffordshire Dresden

In 1881 Ellen and children are in Bridgnorth, Shropshire (With her parents - Hayes)

Ellen Plimbley, 25, Salop Bridgnorth

Mary E Plimbley, 2, Staffs Hanley

Edith L Plimbley, 2m, Salop Bridgnorth

In 1881 John is on his own in Buslem

If so they appear to have used both names or at least caused some confusion on previous occasions.

Regards

Pam

Philip, this is the Admiralty record for your man:

RITCHARDSON GEORGE, LANCE CORPORAL, RMLI, S 864 (Ply), 1st R.M. BN. ROYAL NAVAL DIVISION, 27-Oct-17, France, DIED OF WOUNDS.

Best wishes

David

Hello Laura,

With only a surname to search with it will be nigh on impossible to locate your GU. If you believe he took the name of an elder brother it would help you if you could establish their names. If you can do this then the following should be of help.

The following 6 possible O'Connells were Navy casualties during the war:

O'CONNELL, TIMOTHY, PRIVATE, RMLI, S 374 (Ch), CHATHAM BN. ROYAL NAVAL DIVISION, 03-May-15, Gallipoli, DIED OF WOUNDS on Hospital Ship.

O'CONNELL, ALBERT A., A.B., J 16487 (Po), HAMPSHIRE, 05-Jun-16, SHIP LOSS

O'CONNELL, DAVID, STOKER 2c, K 31046, VIVID, 08-Apr-16, ILLNESS

O'CONNELL, WILLIAM C., PRIVATE, RMLI, 20441 (Ch), 1st R.M. BN. ROYAL NAVAL DIVISION, 22-Mar-18, KILLED

O'CONNELL, DENIS, L/STOKER, K 9557 (Dev), L 55, 09-Jun-19, SHIP LOSS.

O'CONNELL, THOMAS F., P.O., 89851, INDUS, 15-Jul-19, ILLNESS

Three other O'Connells also died but you can ignore these because their reserve status meant they had served prior to the war.

O'CONNELL, MICHAEL, SEAMAN, RNR, B 5170, LAURENTIC, 25-Jan-17, SHIP LOSS

O'CONNELL, RICHARD P., FIREMAN, Mercantile Marine Reserve, (none listed), VICTORY, 30-Mar-19, ILLNESS

O'CONNELL, GEORGE, ENGINEMAN, RNR, T S 5876, WARLAND, 06-Jan-19, DROWNING

Hope this helps.

Best wishes

David

Thanks for all the help guys !!!!

I'm trying to track down a niece of his that my mother informs me should be able to give me more information on this missing great uncle - possibly even a photograph.

This tracing people is addictive, but great fun - even when it gets frustrating.

THANKS AGAIN. I'm sure I'll be back to gain the benefit of all your knowledge.

Laura.

Laura

In Ireland I understand you have both the 1901 and 1911 censi available. Look through those and comppile a list of possible names. For the search for Patrick, I suggest that you start with the Long Long Trail site and work through the researching a grandfateher section. There is not a Patrick, born in 1900 in the online Seamen's records, nor in the Royal Naval Division.

Per Mare

Dear Philip,

Big H. Ah well. I bet it has a "WA" stamp on the reverse 100% sure. Am begging you for a photo or scan of the plaque still. It is a rather important anomaly for the RND records.

As you can prove your family line to Ellen Plimbley, you have the plaque in the family, plus the address given in RMLI records, plus the Tunstall War Memorial inscription, you have a fair case. I have not looked, but I bet there is no birth or Census for George Ritchardson, which may also help to show. I am convinced for one. Please oblige with a photo/scan if you can.

TTFN

John

Excellentay. Please e-mail to jack.clegg@virgin.net

Look forward to seeing the real thing.

TTFN

John

Philip,

Just had my attention drawn by John Morcombe to your postings. His papers are at the FAA Museum; from the FAA Museum database:

Plymouth/864(S); RITCHARDSON, G; Enlisted 27/05/1915; Discharged DOW; D.o.b. 06/02/1896; P.o.b. STOKE-ON-TRENT.

His attestation shows no sign of an alias. He certainly signed as George Ritchardson.

H2

horatio2 how do you access the FAA museum database?

is it online or do you have to write to them

KInd Regards

James