I was wondering what his link was

Name: TEARE

Initials: C H

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers

Unit Text: 6th Bn.

Date of Death: 07/11/1918

Service No: 48822

Additional information: Son of Mr. J. Teare, of 12, Barrack St., Douglas, Isle of Man.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: I. B. 5.

Cemetery: DOURLERS COMMUNAL CEMETERY EXTENSION

there were a few men of the Bn from I of M named on SDGW so presumably formed a company.

Mick

The Company was formed from the Island's Territorials (I think still called Volunteers). Those who volunteered for overseas service, about 100, were formed into the Company and attached to 16th Kings Liverpool and then transferred to the Cheshires. Long Long Trail indicates they were subsequently posted to "A" Company of 2/Cheshire in 1916.

Teare's entry on SDGW only indicates previous King's service.

John

When the Territorial Force was formed in 1908 the Isle of Man Volunteers remained the only Volunteer unit in the U.K.

In the 1880s the Isle of Man Volunteers were of company strengh although they were titled the 7th Volunteer Battalion The Kings ( Liverpool Regiment) and were attached to the 6th V.B. of that regiment.

When the Territorial and Reserve Forces Act came into force in 1908 it was decided that although the Act applied to the Isle of Man it would not be inplimented there. One reason which has been given is that many of the members of the 7th ( I.O.M.) V.B. could not attend camp at the height of the holiday season because they had seasonal employment.

The volunteers on the Island continued to serve under the terms of the 1863 Volunteer Act and continued to be awarded the Volunteer Long Service medal and not The Territorial Efficency medal. What happened in 1914 has already been stated above

Peter Brydon

A very interesting thread. Thanks for posting. You really can learn so much on here.

Mick

The " Manx Volunteers" badge shown, features on the graves of many former members of the company who died postwar and were buried at home in the Isle of Man. The badges were produced by the postwar association

• 3 years later...

There were two Manx service companies. The first was formed as described and numbered actually 225 men of all ranks. They saw active service as a unit in Salonika.

The second company did not serve as a unitand individual chaps were used as battlefield casualty replacements etc. and generally posted to other units.

If anyone is interested I have the number blocks for the 3 companies.....

The Manx Service Company grave markers were made by a local iron foundry (Gellings) and were not only used on "home" graves, they also appear wherever a Manx Service Company veteran was buried - there are a number in Salonika and the UK.

Charles H Teare's headstone inscription. Obscured word is "save".

Tom

post-108-1269619561.jpg

post-108-1269619664.jpg