Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

IGN maps

Mick D

Hello,

similar question often raised, but specifically can anyone tell me which IGN maps cover the following -

Auchonvillers

Serre

Beaumont Hamel

Newfoundland Park

Contalmaison

Pozieres

I can guess that I need all 4 but hopefully some kind sole can look at theirs to see how few I can get by with!

Mick D

The first four places are on Sheet 2407 O Achieux en Amienois, Pozieres is right on the junction of 2407 E Bapaume and 2408 E Bray-sur-Somme, so the answer is three. However, if you want La Boisselle, Aveluy and Becourt (and why wouldn't you, once you have the rest), so I suggest you buy 2408 O Albert as well.

Jack

Mick,

I have not got mine handy but for the Somme area you are correct that all four are needed (2407O, 2407E, 2408O, 2408E). However, for the areas noted I think you may get away with two - 2407O and 2408O. Sod's law dictates the area one is looking at is invariably across two maps and frequently all four! Maddening....

http://www.ign.fr/rubrique.asp?rbr_id=2105&lng_id=EN

Jack/ Max,

Thank you for the replies, I guessed that I might need to buy all 4, I forgot the La Boiselle area so that kind of confirmed it !

By the way, is there a Belgium equivalent covering the main area of the salient ?

Mick D

Yes. IGN (or NGI in Dutch!) sheet 28, maps 1-2 (Poperinge-Ieper), 3-4 (Zonnebeke - Moorslede), 5-6 (Heuvelland-Mesen) and 7-8 (wervik - Menen). These 4 practically cover the whole Salient in 1:20,000 scale.

Dave

...or you can do Dixmude to Ploegsteert with two 1:50,000 scale IGN/NGI maps - "Roeselare" (sheet 19-20) and "Ieper" (sheet 27-28-36).

Dave