Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

unravelment needed

alanclimb

post-6536-1172321423.jpg

Looks like he didn't get overseas as early as we thought.

He went overseas with 24th Brigade RFA (not the 15th Brigade with which he was killed. He probably moved Brigades when commissioned.)

He landed on 11th September 1914 so missed the battle of Le Cateau that we thought he might have been at.

He landed as a Sergeant and was entitled to the 1914 Star (per the stamped section) and the Clasp and Roses for being within range of the enemy mobile artillery before 22-11-1914 (per the middle section)

He was commissioned on 14th December 1914 which ties in with Herbert's commission date that we found earlier.

He also had the British War Medal and Victory Medal issued from the Officers Roll of the RFA.

So he seems to have been with 24th Brigade RFA in 6th Division ( http://www.1914-1918.net/6div.htm ) up to 13th December 1914 as an NCO (and presumably before the war) fighting at the Aisne. He would have been in either 110,111 or 112 Battery. Then he was with 80th Battery, 15th Brigade, 5th Division from 14th December 1914 until his death.

Steve.

Thanks steve. I would never have sussed all that out.

The shame is that I have been reading about him at Le Cateau and thinking poor sod, stuck in amongst all that lot, Now I find out he was tucked up nice and warm in bed. Oh well, good for him. I hope he is up there laughing at me.

But we are sure that Frederick was there at the time............ Arn't We!?

Alan

Steve you say that he probably changed to 80th battery when he was commisioned. In his records and the paper write ups it says that he was promoted in the field, does that seem to make sense?

Could it be that after the pounding that the 80th and the others got at le Cateau they were without and officer, and that is why herbert got a swift promotion, to step into dead mans shoes, so to speak.

Would I be right that after the battle at le Cateau the artillery would need to be more or less rebuilt due to losses of men and equipment?

Reading the book the 15th lost a lot of guns and men.

Alan

Yes, Fred was almost definitely there!

When men were commissioned it was quite usual for them to switch units, so that they weren't commanding men they were very friendly with. An officer needed to be aloof of his men to a certain extent. On other occasions they might stay with their unit. It was a decision that was made rather than being a hard and fast rule.

I think it is a reasonable assumption to make that he replaced officer casualties, though probably from later actions up to the First Battle of Ypres - he probably replaced the replacements! Dead men's shoes was certainly the most common means of promotion at the time...

Steve.