Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Griffin...have searched TNA, spelling error maybe?

mrskpickles

Hi,

I am looking for Ellen Mary Griffin, born 1893 in Hampshire and from what I know from family she was a 'nurse' in WW1. She apparentely nurse my great grandfather and that is how they met. As far as I know she stayed in England and nurses soliders who cam back??

I found only one possibility on TNA...

Medal card of Griffin, Eleanor Mary

Corps: Territorial Force Nursing Service

1914-1920 WO 372/23

I am wondering if this could be ellen mary, with a spelling error...I am guessing not??

Also, I wonder if she was a qualified nurse, or just 'first aid'

Can anyone giveme any idea of how to start the search.

Thank you

Kirstie

(yes me again with my vague info, my family just never spoke about these things, it waslike trying to get blood out of a stone! And now they are either passed on or lost touch!)

There are only two Ellen Griffins quoted as being born in Hampshire around that time in the 1901 census - one in 'around' 1894 the other in 1888.

If we assume Ellen Griffin born around 1894 is your Ellen Griffin then the Eleanor Mary Griffin quoted on the medal index is probably yours.

Ellen is a shortened version of Eleanor and is probably what she was called, whereas she would have been baptised as Eleanor.

If you'd like the 1901 census image - whihc includes all her brothers and sisters as well as her mother and father pm me and I will gladly email it to you.

Kim

If she stayed in England, then she would not have been entitled to medals and the Medal Index Card cannot therefore be her.

NGG