Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

merchant seaman?

Adam Shaw

Can anyone tell me anything about the uniform / cap badge worn by this man. The picture was taken around September 1917 (based on others I have) at, I believe the RN Hospital, Hull. Is this man a merchant seaman?

Could be anything really ? Looks a bit like a porter to me ? But the badge has a "Canadian" shape to it ?? or am i just imagining it ?? "MO" :blink:

Mo, the thought had occurred to me that the uniform did look tioo be "Railway style". However, I have other photos including this man. In one he wears a white dustcoat ( I have another recent post on the wearing of white dustcoats) along with other injured men, similarily dresses and most of whom are identifiably seafarers. The full picture from which this detail is taken has him pictured with some nurses and two men, one with the cap taly of HMS Australia and the other HMS Valiant. I also have one full length picture of him with thse two men (in which they all have flowers on their lapels).

Sorry about the quality of the typing Post 1 should read "did look to be" Post 3 should read "similarly dressed". Incidentally for some reason I can't now see the posted picture?

I could be wrong Daggers but I don't think he is. Here is a photo in which he appears 2nd from left in the back row and appears to be one of the injured men.

post-11379-1172258059.jpg