Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Info on a DSM required

Madweasel

Could anyone with access to the London Gazette of 23 May 1917 please help me here? I would like to know the circumstances of John Buckley receiving the DSM. I believe it might have been in association with the sinking of his TB no.9, in an accidental collision with an HMS ?. His service record says as much but I cannot decipher the poor hand-writing to get the detail.

best wishes

shep

On 26th July 1916 Torpedoboat TB 9, built 1907, 247 tons, was in collision in thick fog with destroyer HMS Matchless and sank off Harwich. Matchless took off the crew but 1 man subsequently died.

Best wishes

David

Shep,

The London Gazette gives no details.

"To receive the Distinguished Service Medal .... Ldg. Sig. John Buckley, O.N. 212203 (Ch.)"

To search the London Gazette on-line just go to www.gazettes-online.co.uk and then search the Archive.

There were two other references to a John Buckley in 1917.

Noel

Is it the same John Buckey who was Yeo of Sig on the Vindictive at Zeebrugge? As I recall he was killed while once again performing extraordinarily brave feats.

Dom

Is it the same John Buckey who was Yeo of Sig on the Vindictive at Zeebrugge? As I recall he was killed while once again performing extraordinarily brave feats.

Dom

Yes Dom, it is he. You describe 'extraordinary feats". Can you expand on that, please?

shep

Details on the events surrounding his award of the DSM will be in the relevant correspondence in the Admiralty files, which you will find by using the ADM 12 indexes at Kew. As will his actionsat Zeebrugge. If you look at the beginning of the LG for the relevent naval awards that include his DSM there might be a reason why the awards were made.

Edited by per ardua per mare per terram

Shep, this is the Admiralty record for your man:

BUCKLEY, JOHN, YEOMAN OF SIGNALS, 212203 (Ch), VINDICTIVE, 23-Apr-18, killed Zeebrugge.

Best wishes

David

From the Book by Captain Carpenter VC, HMS Vindictive:
"The deck on both sides of the conning tower became a regular shambles during the final approach. Yeoman of signals John Buckley, who had volunteerd to take up a position outside the conning tower in readiness to fire illuminating rockets, had stayed at his post until killed. We found him there at the foot of the rocket tube in the morning, a splendid fellow who had been as helpful in the work of preparation as he was unflinching in the face of almost certain death. All the signalmen except one had been either killed or completely disabled, and almost every soul on the conning tower had made the supreme sacrifice."
He was MID for Zeebrugge.
May I ask what your interest is in Buckley. I may have further material. You can email me at zeebrugge1918@gmail.com if you prefer.
Best wishes.
Dom