Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Missing from the CWGC database

channelhopper

Hi Terry

Can you please help me with the reference number to obtain a death certificate for the following man, which I hope will assist me in getting his name listed on CWGC.

My man 1188 Pte Frank Thompson who DOW 24/09/15 with the 1st bn Northumberland Fusiliers.

I emailed the CWGC a couple of weeks ago about the non commemoration, but as you will know they have quite a backlog with enquiries.

Many Thanks

Peter

Peter

Can't find any listing for this man in the overseas deaths register. I've also looked under the alternative spelling of Thomson.

Could he have died in the UK?

John

John & Tom

Thanks for your replies.

I have the details from SDGW but no sign on CWGC.

I am also waiting for any available info from the PRO

Thanks

Peter

Another example of SDGW being inaccurate in its location of death.

It tends to attach 'F&F' to men who made it back to the UK but then died of wounds.

Peter,

I need some spare parts for my hedge trimmer from a shop in Garratt Lane, which is just round the corner from Earlsfield Cemetery. If I go next week, I could get photos of Frank Thompson's grave/memorial at the same time, if you like. If yes, PM me your e-mail address and I'll send you hi-res jpegs.

Could Terry please take a look at the CWGC entry and cemetery details and tell me whether Frank has a grave in the Military Plot as well as a commemoration on the Screen Wall, as I'm not clear whether the reference number is for a panel on the Screen Wall or a separate grave.

Presumably Frank Thompson died at No 3 London General Hospital, which was housed in the Royal Victoria Patriotic Institution in Trinity Road, Wandsworth, about half a mile from Earlsfield Cemetery.

Mick

His name is on the Screen Wall and the reference relates to his grave.

The Screen Wall bears the names of those buried either in the Military Plot or in unmarked graves. All the Screen Wall men also have graves in the cemetery.

That will teach me to look a little harder!

Many Thanks to all for their help.

Mick pm on it's way

Regards

Peter

• 2 weeks later...
His name is on the Screen Wall and the reference relates to his grave.

The Screen Wall bears the names of those buried either in the Military Plot or in unmarked graves. All the Screen Wall men also have graves in the cemetery.

I visited Earlsfield Cemetery this afternoon. The Screen Wall stands at the head of the 'general' Military Plot (British WW1), which is a long grassed area surrounded by a low kerb. There are no individual headstones, so I assume it must be a collective grave. It occupies grave site numbers 130 - 148, and each of that series of numbers appears against the names of several of the men on the Screen Wall panels, in Thompson's case 131.

The other, smaller plots are also nicely laid out, Australian, NZ, SA, and Newfoundlanders. If wanted, I will photograph individual stones on another visit.

Mick

post-11021-1173401697.jpg

Mick

I am very much obliged for the time and trouble you have taken on my behalf

I hope I will be in a postion to return the favour sometime.

Thanks

Pere