Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

My Art project at school

kirkyboy

Hello,

I'am doing an Art Project at school for my GCSE Art exam. So far we are doing prep for the exam next month.

A range of topics were given to us including After the Party, Wings and Feathers, Bikes etc... and i have chosen Memories. This could be for anything but i have chosen memories of the Somme (the somme is a big intrest to me and my father).

For the prep so far i have done Acrylic Prints, Watercolours, pencil studies and a collage.

Has anybody got suggestions for what to do next. This would be very welcome.

Thanks

Dan

Hi Dan,

Have you thought of using old photographs of the Somme and soldiers of the time perhaps compared with recent pictures, if you have them. If you can see Barton's book 'The Somme', he has contemporary and recent panoramic images of the battlefields. Showing change could be symbolic of time passing and memories fading.

I wonder if superimposing, either digitally or photographically, old and new photographs of people or places would work as an equivalent for memory?

You might be able to use quotations from letters from the Front with some images of soldiers or places to evoke what a memory of the time might be. Or even use images of the actual letters if you could find some.

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Peter

Still life drawing - hand reaching into a drawer which contains faded/frayed pictures ... a death penny ... raggedy medals ... cap badge. death telegram would be good too ....

Whatever you decide to do, would you post a picture of it please?

Guest KevinEndon

A video of a relative visiting a grave with images of him remembering his fathers tales of ww1 be sure not to go down the start of saving private ryan road though.

Kevin

Digital photo scrapbook - some good books published by Ilex.

Found objects integrated into imagery - bits of wood, rusty metal, coins, bits of fabric, vintage stamps, playing cards, parts of tools, nails and screws, old glass, bookcovers, pages from an old book or magazine, writing pad, old pencil, newspaper, vintage stamps, vintage postmarks, old envelopes, luggage tags, telegram streamer tape .

Have a rummage on those stalls on markets where anything and everything in the old tools and metal bits line is sold. You might unearth a find as a basis - eg old men treasure their old wooden handled gardening tools and wooden seed boxes. Or look for inspiring memorabilia on a junk stall, eg an old man's favourite china cup. A bit like looking for props to create a stage set of his life and memories. Could be interactive - eg what happens when the viewer looks in the cup - what does she see? (Eg reflection of.., or an old sixpence, or...) Include evocative smells - like menthol or tobacco or Old Spice (aftershave). Even an old '50s knitting pattern and a pair of needles can suggest his wife or mother, or an old battered pan and a spoon. A teapot might suggest an old aunt, or a piece of an old wireless might bring hearing the declaration of War in 1939 to mind.

Positive or negative (reversed image) printing on to acetate, (then laminated so ink doesn't run) - I've done this. Print on the rough side not the smooth side. Acetate is 10p a sheet from an office stationery supplier. You can use this to create all sorts of transparencies such as stained glass windows effects (eg a memorial window?)

Collection of real, photographed or drawn/painted pieces of costume, eg the hats he wore in various stages of his life, or the shoes. Schoolboy cap (as they wore in those days), cap for walking out with his lady friend, the hat he joined up in, his Great War helmet, his hat for church on Sunday, the Home Guard helmet he had in the 2nd World War, his de-mob hat (old men remember the hat the King gave them), the hat he was married in, his bowler hat for work, his cloth cap for down the British Legion ... Charity shops and Ebay are good, cheap sources of hats and shoes.

Travel diary with photos, found objects, tickets, handwritten annotations (proper fountain pen and ink)

Interactive display of objects that might appear to be Great War- but are they? or are they a deceit of memory?

(No, I'm not art trained, as you can tell.)

Gwyn

A video of a relative visiting a grave with images of him remembering his fathers tales of ww1 be sure not to go down the start of saving private ryan road though.

Kevin

Hallo Kevinaka1888 :D

I was a Private Ryan, so were my six brothers, it's only a nasty rumour we needed saving :blink:

Connaught Stranger aka Kevin A. Ryan. :D

thanks for the great help guys,

this will come in very handy in future Art work for my Art Exam.

I will post images of my work so far in a while but thanks for all the great hints and tips.

Dan

Lord knows how you avoid the cliches. For example what can you do with the Thiepval Memorial that hasn't already been done. Have a look at the faces mosaic on display at the Thiepval Memorial visitor centre - I am sure it is on the website. Massive impact. Good luck. I am sure you will find your own meaning. Mine is of little use to you.

hello again,

as i am new to adding photos could you please tell me how to add the photos of my art work.

Thanks

dan

Dan,

Click on browse on File Attachments > Add this attachment below and browse to the file on your computer. (Presuming you have scanned it to a file)

Open it and add the attachment.

It will appear below as long as it is a jpeg (jpg) and is not over 100KB in size. The best way to do this is to resize your picture to say 640 x 480 pixels. B)

Hi Dan.

Just finished my GCSE art piece on landscapes, and I related it to the Great War as you are doing.

Found looking at some war artists helpful (I liked Paul Nash, Otto Dix and Will Longstaff) and got some inspiration from there.

As for ideas, its something youve really got to come up with yourself as you have to emmerse and put your own passion and imagination in the picture, however I have a distinct picture in my head of a veteran in his soldiers uniform looking onto some graves, with a battle in the background?

Hope this helps and good luck!

Steph (a fellow gcse artist!) x

some of the work i have done so far for my prep...

It will appear below as long as it is a jpeg (jpg) and is not over 100KB in size. The best way to do this is to resize your picture to say 640 x 480 pixels

how do you resize the pictures?

dan

how do you resize the pictures?

dan

Use an editing programme like Photoshop.

Dan

You should do first hand observational drawing. It would be worth visiting a Regimental Museum with a sketch book and also if you have an older member/friend of your family who would be willing to sit for you, work on some portraits. Remember to look and carefully record the details in the face.

Myrtle