Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

City of London Yeomanry

Mikeb

Pte. 3320 FARMER J E. His service records seem to suggest he was part of 1/1 City of London Yeomanry, could anybody tell me what they did ? where they were? LLT says they were at the battle of Scimitar Hill could you expand? he survived the war, later in France (MGC). Later in life he had chest problems, I was told he might have been gassed, but I've read on this site that his chest problems could have stemmed from his service here? any thoughts? Many Thanks, Mike.

Did John Farmer definitely see service at Gallipol?. Does the Medal Card actually have a date of entry and a 2(B.) Gallipoli Theatre of war reference on it?

He may not have been on Gallipoli at all, if not.

Steve.

Did John Farmer definitely see service at Gallipol?. Does the Medal Card actually have a date of entry and a 2(B.) Gallipoli Theatre of war reference on it?

He may not have been on Gallipoli at all, if not.

Steve.

Hi Steve,

I am going on answers to a question that I asked about MGC Cav. which I believe you took part in. FARMER J E 3320 (City of London Yeomanry) Then 169346 MGC Cav. To answer your question , no, I said at the start JE was awarded the standard 2. However, as he volunteered 4th Aug.1914, and his record shows City of London Yeomanry, it must have been 1/1st as 2/1 and 3/1 were not raised until much later, and did not go overseas. What you think?, any help please!!!!!

The thing is with the Medal Card is that if he served overseas in 1915 he should have had a 1914-15 Star. Since this does not show up on the Medal Card, it is likely that he didn't go overseas until after 1-1-1916.

We at least know he would have been overseas before 1-4-1917 because he is shown with a 4-digit number rather than a 5-digit number between 40001 and 45000 that he would have had if he first went overseas after early 1917.

http://www.1914-1918.net/TF_renumbering_yeomanry.htm

So it is pretty likely that he was at Beersheba and beyond, but he could have gone overseas any time during 1916, by the evidence we have so far.

The 2/1st City of London Yeomanry was created in August 1915 when the 1/1st was mobilised for active service. He could therefore have been in that battalion until needed in the 1/1st to replace casualties.

Like you say, though, it is odd that a 1914 volunteer did nor serve overseas until 1916. These are unfortunately the mysteries we have to overcome in this sort of research.

If his service record survives at the National Archives then all might be revealed. Otherwise he are left with guesswork and the hopes that the local papers had an article on him laying out his career!

Steve.

Mate,

The City of London Yeomanry formed part of the London Mounted Bde 2nd Mounted Div which arrived at Helles on the 28th April 1915.

But they didn't land as the forces were stopped so the Regt moved to Egypt where the Bde was renamed the 4th Mounted Bde.

They sailed again and landed at Suvla on the 18th August 1915 and moved into reserve at Karakol Dare.

Moved to Lala Barba on the 20th Aug then Chocolate Hill on the 21st and moved up threw Hill 112 to the Green Hills.

Retired to Lala Baba on the 22nd with 1 officer and 7 men dead. formed line on Chocolate Hill.

Regt reorginzes around 9th Sept with the 1/1st and 1/3rd County of London Yeomanruy as 4th London Regt

The 4th London Regt moved to reserve trenches at Tint's Cornr 28th Sept.

Not much after that date mate if you want it I can give.

The Regt does have the honour of "Scimitar Hill" but as shown there service there is not recorded?

I should add that the other two Regts (1.1st and 1/3rd County of London) in this Bde also have that hill as a battle honour but also don't show service there?

Cheers

S.B