Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Transport "SCOTIA" April 1915

Mikeb

Hi,

My g/father was on board the transport "SCOTIA" on or around 28th April 1915, anchored near HMS "QUEEN ELIZABETH" as part of the "City of London Yeomanry" off Cape Helles, they were not landed, but returned to be landed in the August. Does anybody have an insite into what conditions would have been like aboard ship? perhaps a history of the Transport? Many Thanks, Mike.

Mike

SS Scotia was built by Lairds in 1902. She was a 1872 ton vessel operated by the London and North West Railway Company in the Irish Sea out of Holyhead to Dublin. Requisitioned as a Troop transport in 1914 she ws returned to L&NWR service in 1917. She was renamed Menevia in 1920 when a new ship of the same name was built. Menevia being the latinized version of the ancient name of the area now occupied by St.David's in Pembrokeshire. Sold in 1923 to the London Midland Scottish Railway Company who employed her on different routes including Heysham to the Isle of Man.Shortly after being sold to the Isle of Man Steam Packet Company in 1928 she was scrapped.

The new Scotia was sunk at Dunkirk in 1940.

Dave

Mike

SS Scotia was built by Lairds in 1902. She was a 1872 ton vessel operated by the London and North West Railway Company in the Irish Sea out of Holyhead to Dublin. Requisitioned as a Troop transport in 1914 she ws returned to L&NWR service in 1917. She was renamed Menevia in 1920 when a new ship of the same name was built. Menevia being the latinized version of the ancient name of the area now occupied by St.David's in Pembrokeshire. Sold in 1923 to the London Midland Scottish Railway Company in 1923 who employed her on different routes including Heysham to the Isle of Man.She was scrapped in 1928.

The new Scotia was sunk at Dunkirk in 1940.

Dave

Thanks Dave,

Very spooky!! I am speaking to you from Weston-super-Mare!!!!

Mike

Even spookier my Grandfather worked for the London Midland Scottish Railway Company!

Dave

Thanks Dave,

Very spooky!! I am speaking to you from Weston-super-Mare!!!!

My Father and me both worked at Bath Road Diesel Depot, repairing Main Line Locomotives in the Main Shed, I understand its all knocked down now? We were both Fitters, my father was there 1963 to 1990 when he died, they lowered the flags at work for him, the only time it had been done, very touching, I was there 1977 to 1983 then left to be self-employed.

Mike

This is getting :blink: My Grandfather was a Senior Fitter at Green Park Loco Sheds at Bath. He retired in the late 1950s!! I remember vividly when i was about 8 years old him taking me down into the pit under a loco. H&S!

Here is your SS Scotia:

My Father and me both worked at Bath Road Diesel Depot, repairing Main Line Locomotives in the Main Shed, I understand its all knocked down now? We were both Fitters, my father was there 1963 to 1990 when he died, they lowered the flags at work for him, the only time it had been done, very touching, I was there 1977 to 1983 then left to be self-employed.

My father was employed by British Rail because he had knowledge of diesel engines, most of the fitters he worked with were steam fitters, at the time a company in w-s-m called Henleys had a contract to repair and mothball green-goddeses and amphibious vehicles, I remember as a young lad being taken around Weston bay in an amphibious landing craft driven by my dad on a test drive!!, when henleys' closed , most of the staff went to work for British Rail, they were on the change over from steam to diesel locos.

quote: My g/father was on board the transport "SCOTIA" on or around 28th April 1915, anchored near HMS "QUEEN ELIZABETH" as part of the "City of London Yeomanry" off Cape Helles, they were not landed, but returned to be landed in the August. Does anybody have an insite into what conditions would have been like aboard ship?

Ray Westlake's book 'British regiments at Gallipoli' has the following

"April 1915

Entrained Mundesley for Avonmouth (10th). Embarked Scotia (11th). Sailed (15th). Arrived Malta (22nd). Sailed (23rd). Arrived Lemnos (25th). Sailed for Gallipoli (28th). Moored off mouth of Gully Ravine, Cape Helles. In his history of the Regiment, A. S. Hamilton, M.M., records the Regiment standing by to land. Warships were firing, their shells bursting on the crest of Achi Baba. Krithia was burning and shrapnel bursts marked the front lines and main advances.

May 1915

Sailed for Tenedos (1st), Alexandria (3rd). Arrived (6th) and by trams to camp at Sidi Bishr....."

I do not know how easy it might be [Westlake does not even give the full title] but it should be worth asking your library if they can get Hamilton's history of the Regiment for you

regards

Michael

"Entrained Mundesley for Avonmouth"

We had a chalet at Mundesley.

The station long gone of course, but remains of cuttings etc. seen. I have seen pics. of it. The North Norfolk Railway. There is a Steam Enthusiast NNR Society.

Kath.