Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Gallipoli - an EKIP Film Production 2005

bcerha

I saw this film advertised on line in the US when I was living there 2 years ago but have heard nothing since. Narrated by Jeremy Irons with Sam Neil it is, I believe a Turkish Production but have not seen it released in the UK. There is a website:

http://www.canakkale-film.com/eng_film.asp

But most of the images fail to download.

I wonder if any Pals have seen it and whether it is available to buy on DVD. CD Universe do not have it listed on their site.

Thanks in advance

Regards

David

I can't find it for sale on amzon, but it is available from a NZ site that I've purchased other DVDs from with no problems.

Have a look here.

Postage to the rest of the world is $7 NZ, which is about £2, and the cost of the DVD at $34.95 NZ is about £11 or so.

Edit

Hi,

I own have it and thought it was quite good, bought via ebay for a tenner...

Here it is, only £4.99 get in there!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Gelibolu-Gallipoli-B...VQQcmdZViewItem

Wow, good price, Soren!

Allie

Good point. However, I think most newer DVD players are region-free these days. Or at least, down here I doubt you could buy one that only plays Region 4 (our region).

Allie

Good point. However, I think most newer DVD players are region-free these days. Or at least, down here I doubt you could buy one that only plays Region 4 (our region).

Allie

Hello Allie,

I clearly stated "Just make sure it is fits yer DVD players religion..." Mine's High Anglican, wont play anything Catholic.

Thanks Soren,

Got it!

Just can't understand why it hasn't had wider exposure in UK especailly given the current level of interest. Perhaps it got better coverage down under - any ANZAC pals care to comment?

Thanks again

Regards

David

Hello Allie,

I clearly stated "Just make sure it is fits yer DVD players religion..." Mine's High Anglican, wont play anything Catholic.

Well, I hate to say it, but your DVD player and mine won't be speaking to each other. Mine is as Catholic as they come, what with The Toad having First Communion in just a few months. ;)

David, I have a feeling it may have been shown on the History channel down here. If so, that would cover both Australia and NZ, as that channel screens in both countries, simultaneously. It may however have shown on free-to-air television in NZ, in which case I couldn't tell you about Australian airing. It was probably aired around either Anzac Day or Remembrance Day. Anything about Gallipoli tends to get quite well advertised down here.

Also, they tend to like using Russell Crowe or Sam Neil for this type of thing, because they have ties for both countries. The Colour of War episode about the Anzac nations in WW2 was narrated by Russell Crowe.

That being said, I'm not sure if I remember this programme or not - I've seen quite a number over the years, and although I did see one a year or so ago, it might have been something different. Sorry.

Allie

Allie & Peter,

Many thanks for the feedback - interesting that you get the same sort of blanket coverage on the subjects around ANZAC day as we get on 1st July etc but for the rest of the year both the History Channel and UK TV History seem to dwell so much more on WW2 - like at least 1 programme a night!

As for the Turkish price Peter - good for you I wish I was so lucky as to go there again - and get such a bargain.

Last time I was there, a long time ago and very wet behind the ears (before I knew better) I parted with the thick end of £200 for a 1917 marked officer's marching compass and case - ouch! Of course I know better now, but my then girlfriend (now wife) nearly left me on the spot! thats why I'm happy to pay just 4.99 for a DVD!!!

Regards

David

This had its UK premiere at the IWM. In Turkey it ran in the najor Istanbul cinemas for months rather than weeks. It's an excellent and atmospheric documentary made with historical support from both the IWM and the AWM amongst others. Comapred to some CD/Video/DVD material that is available on the campaign it is excellent value and an excellent production. It's not perfect, very little is, but for a commercial production it is second to none. It looks at the campaign through the eyes of a range of participants and I would commend it to all.

Thanks Soren,

Got it!

Just can't understand why it hasn't had wider exposure in UK especailly given the current level of interest. Perhaps it got better coverage down under - any ANZAC pals care to comment?

Thanks again

Regards

David

It was certainly shown at most cinemas. I thought it was a great film, showing how it was for both sides.

To use a well worn Australian expression, I'd like to put my two Bobs worth in here.

I had the honour and privilege of attending one of the pre-release screenings of the documentary here in Melbourne (Victoria, Australia).

A good mate of mine, a retired officer and veteran of Malaya and Vietnam, accompanied me to the cinema. Upon the shell bursting in the trench in the opening sequence of the documentary, he physically flinched and muttered to himself, 'God that was realistic'.

I thought, 'this is a good start, it looks like it could be a good documentary'.

This proved to be a very correct assumption.

Tolga Ornek gave a short presentation before the screening, and on the face of it a delightful young man.

A passionate speech on Australia's and Turkeys bond of friendship arising from the Gallipoli campaign and obviously great delight in informing the audience of the announcement of his engagement to an Australian lass.

I consider this one of the best documentaries on the Gallipoli campaign to have been produced to date, there are faults, such as the misuse and captioning of some photographs, and particularly the scene of the slouch hat, complete with Emu plume, hanging on the trench wall after the charge at the NEK. (The 3rd LH Bde were issued with helmets prior to embarkation to Gallipoli, all slouch hats were to be handed into the Base Store, and strict orders were issued that no plumes were to be worn to the front.), but on the whole it portrays the campaign very well.

As an educational vehicle, the documentary gives a concise and vivid picture of the conditions and actions that took place, from the perspective of the Turks, as well as the allied forces. No one could leave the film in not having being moved to some extent. The horrors, infallibility's and uselessness of war are brought home all to vividly.

Anyone who has the DVD, or is contemplating purchasing a copy, the companion book is a must. It has some excellent maps and photographs not used in the film, plus a good deal more information.

Thoroughly enjoyed it.

Jeff

I cannot agree more about that opening scene - the transition from a quiet scene into mayhem as a shell lands still makes me flich as it bursts and the whole earth moves.

I was on the peninsula during some of the making of the film, and I fondly remember walking down to W beach to find that it had been cleared of every single scrap of litter and the foreshore was occupied by a reconstructed barded wire barricade. It really made one think. This is one of the few WW1 documentaries that I find really does bear repeated viewing.

Phew! Some compliments.

Bernard