Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Flying Circus

Trenchrat

Hi,

I recently acquired an interesting Photo postcard. The card shows Manfred von Richthofen and ten members of his 'Flying Circus'. Of course I know Manfred had 80 confirmed victories,but I'd like to know the totals for the other men in the photo. The other gentlemen in the photo in order from left to right are Ltn. Siegfried Gussman, a Ltn. Schubert, Ltn. Hans-Georg von der Osten,Ltn. Werner Steinhauser,Manfred von Richthofen,Ltn. Esser,Ltn. Friedrich-Wilhelm Lubbert,Oblt. Hans-Helmut von Boddien,Ltn. Hans Karl von Linsingen,Ltn. Eberhard Mohnicke and a man with the last name of Scholz. If one of my fellow forum members could give me a victory total for each gentleman, I'd appreciate it. Also, based on the names of the men in the photo, can someone hazard a guess as to when the photo was taken? Thanks for any help that's offered.

Hi there,

I think you are talking about the famous Sanke 606 card which was taken in early 1918 at Avesnes-le-Sec. All members are from Jasta 11 except for Schubert who was with Jasta 6. I have a copy of it too.

Their kills are as follows:

Friedrich Schubert 3, Siegfried Gussman 5, Werner Steinhauser 10, Hans Karl von Linsingen 0, Karl Esser 0, Hans-Georg von der Osten 5, Eberhard Mohnike 9, Friedrich-Wilhelm Lubbert 0, Hans-Helmuth von Boddien 0 and Edgar Scholz 7.

I think all survived apart for Steinhauser and Scholz.

Hi,

You're right, it was Sanke Card 606. Surprising how few victories the other gentlemen had isn't? I mean aside from von Richthofen, only Steinhauser was an ace. Interesting that all but three of those men survived the war. Only von Richthofen,Steinhauser and Scholz, lost their lives. Thanks for your help.