The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Service Record

mhifle

Hello Mark.

(Brit) Britain.

Terry W.

Hi Terry,

Yes I thought it looked like that, but wondered why bother with (Brit) for Britain since that should be covered by the word "Home", or could the word Home placed on a service record have meant anywhere else but Britain?

Mark

Hello Mark.

(Brit) Britain.

Terry W.

Hi Terry,

Yes I thought it looked like that, but wondered why bother with (Brit) for Britain since that should be covered by the word "Home", or could the word Home placed on a service record have meant anywhere else but Britain?

Mark

Mark

I suppose that if pre-war the battalion had been posted in India then home may have meant there.

Andy

Hi Andy,

It was the 5th Service Battalion, The Conaught Rangers so it was formed in Ireland in 1914. But he rejoined the army in England when the war started after retiring in 1913. So maybe it is to indicate distinguish between Great Britain and Ireland.

Mark

Mark

I suppose that if pre-war the battalion had been posted in India then home may have meant there.

Andy

So that would be the "United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland" which then became the "United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland" in 1922?

Mark

MArk in 1914 Ireland was part of Great Britain, no distinction.