Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Are these WW1 army uniforms?

catwat

Hard to tell but I would say in answer to your question 'No'

Has a WW2 feel to it. Should there be more than one?

Cheers

A smaller view.

Dave

Hard to tell but I would say in answer to your question 'No'

Has a WW2 feel to it.

It doesn't look WW2 to me. There seems to be too much fabric, down to cuffs on the trousers (I think), whereas WW2 styles were more economic in their styling due to rationing... unless this is early WW2, maybe?

Allie

A smaller view is better , but its still a hard call. So I wouldnt like to say one way or the other . Is there any thing on the back of the card ? Is it a card ?

I found a photo on the Imperiral War Museum site... trouble is it doesn't say whether it's WW1 or WW2!

Have a look here. Does that look similar, except the head-gear?

Edit - yes it does. "...forms a unique body of material relating to the involvement of women in the First World War. "

Allie

Thats "Great War" Allie . My wife has half a dozen good books on Woman during the war. And she also collects postcards showing womans services. That pic (that strated the thread) does have a First war feel about it ? Its amazing how many womans "uniforms" had a military look to them during that period ? wether driving a bus or delivering milk ! I sort of felt "munition workers" before or after shift ? But its one of those pics that without further info , just cant be solved "MO"

I was responding to a previous poster who said it had a WW2 feel. Have edited in the quote I was responding to to make that more clear. :)

Allie

Yes I see. heres 1 of my wifes pics.

post-13272-1172049661.jpg

Is that one Great War?

If I were to guess I'd say 'yes' for 3 reasons. 1. the buttoned boots on two of the ladies, 2. their hair style (although that could be just shoulder length WW2 vintage put up under a cap, so debatable), and 3...well, they look as if their upper regions are more shaped by corsetry than a bra. (Excuse talking about that type of thing.)

Allie

Yes it is "first war"(and I wish my wife had the waist of the one in the middle!!!) as I said previous, my wife collects that sort of stuff "keeps her happy" As you probably know ? woman were asked to do jobs they never dreamt of during peacetime ? and a lot of them excelled at it ? thats why they were so P,d off when the men came home and they had to go back to "ordinary" lives ? If you have an interest ? its worth trying to get hold of this .

post-13272-1172050699.jpg

I'll definitely look out for that - thanks! It is a subject I could certainly get interested in.

Am glad my little entre into ladies undergarments and footware was on the mark.

*delicately lets the subject drop*

Allie

How bout this for a match ? Assuming the woman on the left (of the original post) with the cap on is some type of foreman ? or driver ??

post-13272-1172052294.jpg

Now I have seen the full picture and at a reasonable size I am happy to make a 180 degree turn. I think these ladies are from the WW1 period. The shoes certainly look Edwardian.

Thanks for all the information. The other photos are a dead match. There is no more information of any importance on the back of the photo, but I thought there was a faint imprint of a post mark that looked like 17 and I thought it might be 1917. It looks like the women may have worked at moving coke like the photo at the IWM site.

Great to get all your ideas.

Thanks again

Catherine

Dont think so Tom. The woman in the initial post are dressed very similar to those unloading the coal wagon .And the ones unloading the coal wagon are working for the Glasgow Gas Dept ! There were far more woman working in civil jobs than those working or connected to the military. Now if only we could enlarge that cap badge ? perhaps it says "Glasgow Gas Dept" on it haha :D