Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Yabber Track near Menin Road / Glencorse Track

Jarvis

Whilst researching Maurice Wilson, AIF, died 8/10/1917 I have found reference to Yabber Track, the spot on which he almost certainly died. Can anyone enlighten exactly where this was, or does anyone possess a map with detail of this 'track' ?

I have included an excerpt from his Court of Enquiry to assist as there is also mention of reference J.13.B.4 (which means nothing to me).

Jarvis

post-15884-1172004555.jpg

Very near Clapham Junction, on the Menin road.

The reference you posted is almost certainly meant to be 'Jabber track' which was one of a series of duckboard, mule and light railway tracks that were built between Ypres and the forward postions.

I do have a contempory map of the tracks but I'll have to dig it out.

Chris Henschke

Chris.

If your map also happens to show the Kit & Kat track near the Bellewarde or Westhoek-Frezenburg ridges (or somewhere in between) I would also be very interested for similar reasons.

Thanks.

Neil

Neil,

This is one I have to hand. You should PM me and I will send you a larger image if it any use.

This is a section of the blueprint produced by 3rd Aust. Div. showing tracks ending near Frezenberg, correct to 29 September 1917. Continuous lines are mule tracks, dashed lines are duckboarded track, dotted lines are taped track and dashed/dotted lines are projected tracks.

The blueprint covers back to Ypres.

Chris Henschke

post-671-1172056707.jpg

Chris

Many thanks.

I have sent a PM including my email address so please let me know if you don't receive it. If you get 2 please ignore the first one!

I forgot to say that my great uncle was killed on 14 October 1917 so these maps are as up to date as at his death as I am going to get - which is why I am so interested in them.

Thanks again.

Neil

Jarvis

I have a trench map corrected to 30 June 1917 which shows the details.

Neil, the same map also shows Kit and Kat.

If you both PM your email addresses I can send the map through.

Cheers

Chris

• 1 month later...

This shows Jabber Track in October 1917.

post-671-1175972394.jpg

Great follow up to my original request. Thanks for the map and thanks to all for the input on this one.

I now have quite a bit of data gathered for researching Maurice Wilson, just finding it hard to put the time in to follow it all up of late. The GWF has come up trumps, once again.

Jarvis