Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Reuben C Virgo - Help understanding record

Hannah74

Hi,

Thanks to Donnie for pointing me to this section! I have downloaded the MIC for Reuben C Virgo but I do not know how to interpret it. I have looked at the guidence notes but that abbrivations they list do not seem to tally with the abbrivations on his card! If anyone can tell me what any of this means or relates to I'd be very grateful.

reuben.doc

Thanks very much, Hannah

Hi again,

All i can gather is that he did not see overseas service until 1916 because he has no 1915 star, and that he did not get discharged due to wounds or illness as he has no SWB.

Donnie

Thanks Donnie. Are these not regular abbriviations then?

He actually died, although this is not noted on his card, National Archives noted that this is very rare but did happen. He died 24/5/1917 in Belgium.

Can anyone else shed any light on this?

It says on the CWGC that he was with 8th batt, so you could view the war diary at the national archives and see what was happening on the day he was killed. and how he was killed. Also look at the parent site

(The long, long trail) it gives a short history of the battalion. just click on search and type in royal west kents.

Donnie

Thanks, I'll have a look, should be interesting.

Annoyed that I spent £3.50 on that card and don't understand any of it! (£3.50 means a lot when you're a poor student!!)

Hannah

Hello Hannah

As Donnie has said there is not a great deal that can be gleaned from the card other than entry into the theatre of war after 1/1/16.

The medal Roll entries will probably not give you any further information than that contained on the CWGC that specifies the Battalion as the 8th.

The prefix GS to the number is General Service ie not a regular. I have no detailed knowledge of the RWK numbering but the Service Number 7354 is very low and would seem to indicate enrollment at a very early stage in the war as a Kitchener volunteer. If this is the case then you have the question posed of why no entry into the theatre of war before 1916? It could suggest an illness which may have contributed to Reuben's eventual death by sickness in the trenches?

I suspect the only way the mystery can be resolved is if Reuben's records are amongst the lucky 30% at the NA.

Regards

Mel

Mel, Thanks for your information. Hopefully his record does survive if I get around to going to the Archives!

Hugh, thanks a lot for looking that up. Interesting to see he died of wounds, so illness might not have been a reason for his delayed entry.

Hannah