Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RN at Belgrade, Serbia 1912

Madweasel

I am trying to resolve the circumstances under which an AB I am studying, Edwin Dunmow of Bow, East London, could become the recipient of the Serbian Silver Medal for Bravery during the Defence of Belgrade in 1912. His service record states that, while serving on the HMS Exmouth, he took part in "land Operations". It has been suggested to me eleswhere on the forum that he might have been involved in some sort of mission/attempt to evacuate British citizens - a good and logical suggestion, but only a suggestion nevertheless.

The same person thought that I might get more joy here. Any information about the Defence of Belgrade (I am aware of the 1st and 2nd Balkan Wars but can find no ref to British personnel being involved), the whereabouts of HMS Exmouth in 1912/13 etc would be gratefully received.

best wishes

shep

For whereabouts of HMS Exmouth in 1912/13 see

http://www.battleships-cruisers.co.uk/hms_exmouth.htm

Any medal recommendation would result in at least one letter being sent to the Admiralty (don’t you just love bureaucracy), which will be indexed under his name in the ADM 12 indexes at Kew. With luck the whole letter or even a major part of the correspondence will survive relating to why he was being honoured.