Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

barnbow

gogo

i was pleased to see that a memeorial has now be raised to commemorate the 35 women killed in the barnbow munitions factory explosion during ww1

Gogo thanks for the link

We've planned on paying our respects next time we are back up home in Leeds.

Regards

Andy

i was pleased to see that a memeorial has now be raised to commemorate the 35 women killed in the barnbow munitions factory explosion during ww1

gogo

Would you have any information on whether the list of names is available?

Regards, Tony

how many other munitions workers were killed during ww1, its about time all the unsung heroes of ww1 were remembered.

Three of those killed are on the Templenewsam War Memorial, Selby Road, Leeds. There's also a display in Crossgates Library near to the stones themselves, and I think the memorial was raised through the hard work and dedication of the East Leeds History and Archaeological Society. A warning for those planning to visit though: the memorial is basically a group of boulders with a plaque which is quite easy to miss. I must have walked [and staggered] past it dozens of times before I realised its significance. It's just across the road from the old ASDA, which is now part of the Mecca Bingo and Chiltern Mills. I hasten to add that I was not staggering out of the Bingo. :lol:

MUNITIONS

Jackson, Ethel, A.

Kettlewell, Albert E.

Rowley, Maria E.

Cheers,

Dave

Two of the victims are on the war memorial at All Saints Church in

Pontefract.........Ste.

post-18129-1172095213.jpg