Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Red Baron Memorabilia

quicktoy

Hey guy, newbie here, but i just dug out of my closet a post card my grandmother had given me framed. it is written and signed in german by Manfred Von Richthofen. aka the Red Baron and post marked april 27, 1917. I am going to get it translated tomorrow. the post card is in mint condition. i was wondering where I would have it appraised and certified and what something like this is worth.

thanks for any help

Scott

Scott,

The last signed von Richthofen card I saw was going for 750 euros. That was a postcard dealer that had that one. There is a chap named Bob Gardner at aeroclocks.com who might be willing to give you some advice.

Freddy

Scott,

The last signed von Richthofen card I saw was going for 750 euros. That was a postcard dealer that had that one. There is a chap named Bob Gardner at aeroclocks.com who might be willing to give you some advice.

Freddy

He has a Richthofen autograph on his site now for £ 1680 / $ 3200 + pp.

Roland.

i couldnt scan it because its behind glass on both sides but I took a few pics. the front is dated April 26 1917 and the back is stamped and postmarked April 27 1917

I appreciate all your help. i guess i was hoping it is worth more than a few thousand US dollars so maybe I'll keep it unless I figure out who it is being sent to which may up the value

Scott

another shot of the front

post-19233-1171981203.jpg

post-19233-1171981310.jpg

The front:

Im Felde, 26.4.17

Vielen Dank für die freundl. Zeilen

Ihr

Frhr Richthofen

In the Field, 26.4.17

Many thanks for your kind message.

Yours ...

Freiherr (Baron) Richthofen

The words translated as 'kind message' literally mean 'friendly lines'.

The back:

Feldpostaddresse des Absenders

Jagdstaffel 11

Deutsche Feldpost Nr. 404

Feldpostkorrespondenzkarte

An

Anschüler Wiktor

Wien XVI

Friedmanngasse Nr. 42/5

Sender's Field Post Address

Jagdstaffel 11

German Field Post No. 404

Field Post Correspondence Card

To

Wiktor Anschüler

Friedmanngasse No. 42, Apartment 5

Vienna 16

Always grateful to other sharp-eyed pals for tweaks to the transcription/translation.

It seems the Rittmeister had assistants to help him with his correspondence, as the message on the front and the address on the back appear to be in two different hands.

Mick

The front:

Im Felde, 26.4.17

Vielen Dank für die freundl. Zeilen

Ihr

Frh Richthofen

In the Field, 26.4.17

Many thanks for your kind message.

Yours ...

Freiherr (Baron) Richthofen

The words translated as 'kind message' literally mean 'friendly lines'.

The back:

Feldpostaddresse des Absenders

Jagdstaffel 11

Deutsche Feldpost Nr. 404

Feldpostkorrespondenzkarte

An

Auschüler Wiktor

Wien XVI

Friedmanngasse Nr. 42/5

Sender's Field Post Address

Jagdstaffel 11

German Field Post No. 404

Field Post Correspondence Card

To

Wiktor Anschüler

Friedmanngasse No. 42, Apartment 5

Vienna 16

Always grateful to other sharp-eyed pals for tweaks to the transcription/translation.

It seems the Rittmeister had assistants to help him with his correspondence, as the message on the front and the address on the back appear to be in two different hands.

Mick

Thanks so much for the translation. now im trying to figure out where to go from here

Scott

Whatever its final value is you have a cracking piece of history. Keep it if you can.

Best of luck.

Roland. :)

What's the provenance of your postcard, quicktoy - ie where and from whom did your grandmother obtain it, and where in turn did they obtain it?

Ciao,

GAC

What's the provenance of your postcard, quicktoy - ie where and from whom did your grandmother obtain it, and where in turn did they obtain it?

Ciao,

GAC

i have not a clue, my grandmother just had a ton of stuff like this. her father, my great grandfather was at one time the number one abraham lincoln memorabilia collector in the world, so its just the kind of stuff that doesnt surprise me that she had

A pity - a known provenance can go a long way to establishing a credible authenticity - and sometimes the fact of who an item has previously been owned by enhances its value. Sotheby's will certainly ask you about provenance.

Ciao,

GAC

the positiveis sothebys has sold a bunch of stuff for my family in the past including fabrege eggs ( not actually eggs but figurines made by fabrege) , civil wat memorabilia, jewelry from the 17 and 1800s so they will no its a reputable piece

• 6 months later...

WW1 Nazi memorabilia???

In light of his translation etc. being used almost verbatim, I wonder if Siege Gunner is up for a commission?

Still no mention of providence in the 'ad'.V steep price,bet it doesn't shift.

Call me cynical but I always get suspicious when someone with low posts ask questions about an item & the answers get cut & pasted direct into ebay.

Bet we don't see Quicktoy again. At least not until he want's our info for his next sale.

Andy

He should be banned from the G. W. Forum.

I am not anti-ebay, as I do a bit myself :blush:

but I am anti-thankless muppets who can't even

get the description bit right!!! after getting free info here :angry:

Connaught Stranger :D