Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

SWB but no campaign medals

Guest KevinEndon

Unless you find another MIC for him, you may find he has no overseas service and has been discharged after home service only due to sickness or some other problem which entitled him to a SWB. There are many, many examples of men being awarded a SWB only. Fairly high chance of finding his papers in WO364 by the way.

Guest KevinEndon

Cheers Paul, he was wounded at Loos on 1/7/17, nothing in his papers to say about medal entitlement that I could see, I guess I will never know what he was entitled to then.

Kevin

Ah - I see what the problem may be!

He was an officer - I am pretty sure SWBs were issued to officers automatically, but they had to claim their medals. The fact that you might not have found an MIC for him could indicate he never bothered to claim his medals. His record will probably be in WO339 as he is an officer - unless he is TF then it will be in WO374.

Guest KevinEndon

It's my luck that only 1 fits the bill Lieutenant A W Boulton all the rest are WO's, NCO's or privates. ;)

Cheers anyway Mel.

Kevin

Edited by KevinEndon

Guest KevinEndon

Lt. Boulton went from the 5th btn to the 10th and after suffering 3 gun shot wounds he relinquished his commission but still kept the rank of hon Lt and became the recruiting officer in Stoke. I am awaiting copies of his papers to come through from the N/A which I ordered down there Thursday last.

Still can't recall seeing anything about his medals though. Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh.

Kevin

How about trawling through the Gazette (or even better getting Stebbie to do it for you :P ), you will at leat get the dates for commissioning and promotion and work out from there the approximate date of entry for what would have been posssible entitlement to the 1914-15 Star.

The Battalion war diary seem almost always to record the arrival of officers with the Battalion.

regards

Mel

Guest KevinEndon

Got all that Mel, only a couple of things to finish the research 1, was his medal entitlement, 2 the day in the war diary and 3, a few photos, which Ive asked for in photo wants. Looks like I hit a brick wall at step 1. arghhhhhhhhhh lol

Kevin

Guest KevinEndon

Gareth you are slacking mate there are 5 entries to A W Boulton. Do you want to try and find them or would you like a link to the 5. A bit of a hunt for you if you want, all in fun no criticism intended, hope you take it that way and not a go at you mate

Kevin

Guest KevinEndon

Here is a challenge for those who hate the minefield of the London Gazette. Welshdoc has listed 3 entries there are 5 to lieut a w boulton. Set yourself the challenge of finding the 2 missing. Please dont post the link here just let me know if you sussed it or not..

Kevin