Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Anyone needing help searching a trench?

Joan and Terry

Hi folks,

Has anyone a map or overhead view of EARL TRENCH and VISCOUNT TRENCH (STREET?) just south of Oppy Wood 1918?

Hope this is ok of viscount st pm me your email address can send you a better copy becasue of the 100k limit thingy

john

post-41464-1234442662.jpg

Hi. What an amazing thread! If I'm not being too greedy can anyone find maps for the area known as Chimpanzee Valley and of the trenches near Leuze Wood. I'm interested in the LRB@s movements leading up to the attack around 6th September 1916 during which my Great Uncle was killed.

• 1 year later...

According to The 13th Battalion. Royal Highlanders of Canada

On August 15th, 1915, the 13th Battalion relieved the 10th Battalion and Canadian Cavalry Brigade in

Trenches 135, 136 and 137, with headquarters at La Plus Douce Farm.

I'm aware that first actual "trench-maps" started appear around this time, so is it possible to find these trenches?

I wasn't able to find the farm from maps either, but it's somewhere near Messines. Could someone with better sources help?

Can anyone please help with the following which were probably sited 1km North of Nieppe in a hamlet called Papot circa May 1916.

Westminster Avenue and S.2 south trenches

TIA

David.

• 5 months later...

Can I please get some help with a couple of trench locations. I know that you have been asked previously about a couple of them, But I'm hoping that I might have more luck.

All are around Gueudercourt, I believe possibly on the northern side.

Switch trench

Biscuit Trench

Poineer's Trench

Bull's Run (not road)

and Grease Trench. I believe to be near Hilt trench

Apparently the Aust 8thBn were in the area in early Nov 1916.

Thanks

Carol

Can anyone help me with locating a Trench called "SS 54" which was situated close to Bois Grenier.

It is engraved on a bullet which has been carefully broached and fitted with a safety pin, so I assume this treasured item records where someone caught a "Blighty" wound.....

Sepoy

post-55476-0-84544800-1308220255.jpg

Hi folks,

Has anyone a map or overhead view of EARL TRENCH and VISCOUNT TRENCH (STREET?) just south of Oppy Wood 1918?

I hope this helps Sean... (map from Linesman of course)

regards

Tom

post-5284-0-91060600-1308238177.jpg

Can I please get some help with a couple of trench locations. I know that you have been asked previously about a couple of them, But I'm hoping that I might have more luck.

All are around Gueudercourt, I believe possibly on the northern side.

Switch trench

Biscuit Trench

Poineer's Trench

Bull's Run (not road)

and Grease Trench. I believe to be near Hilt trench

Apparently the Aust 8thBn were in the area in early Nov 1916.

Thanks

Carol

Hi Carol

Here's a link to the area, September 1916. Switch trench is just below Flers. You may find some of the others named on this map also.

http://www.nzetc.org/tm/scholarly/CowMaor-fig-CowMaorP026a.html

There's also a huge amount of trench maps at the McMasters University Library, they have trench maps and aerial photos

http://library.mcmaster.ca/maps/ww1/home.htm

Wendy

Hi Carol

Here's a link to the area, September 1916. Switch trench is just below Flers. You may find some of the others named on this map also.

http://www.nzetc.org...wMaorP026a.html

There's also a huge amount of trench maps at the McMasters University Library, they have trench maps and aerial photos

http://library.mcmas...ps/ww1/home.htm

Wendy

Wendy,

Thanks, but I couldn't find any of the others on nzetc. I think they may be on the north side of Gueudercourt.

The Battalions Bio talks about "Pommiers Camp" located about 6 miles from Gueudercourt. On the 2nd Nov they moved up to switch trench to relieve the 6th Bn for several days before reliving the 5th Bn in Biscuit, Pioneer's Bull's Run and Grease Trenches. A heavy bombadment on the 6th resulted in the death of pte Cook (my family member). HQ ordered the 8th to dig assembly area trenches in preperation for the attack on Hilt and Lard Trenches. (These 2 I have found on the northern side). That was cancelled on the 10th.

Carol

• 2 weeks later...

Hello

I'm trying to pinpoint the location of a trench named after my G-Grandfather Captain (later Major) Armadale Charles Anderson (MID) of the AIF 26th Battalion, C Coy - "Anderson's Trench", and also any further info apart from his memoirs in the AWM, the battalion's War Diaries, and mentions of him by CEW Bean . The trench was located near the railway embankment outside Bullecourt,

Many thanks,

Robin

Hello

What a fantastic thread.

My man Henry Alfred Conley 755 of 7th Battalion Rifle Brigade (B coy) was wounded on 18th Aug 1916

The action was at Delville Wood involving capture of Orchard Trench and part of Wood Lane.

I have the war diaries (courtesy of stiletto) which show 'B coy' gave valuable assistance carry ammunition/supplies forward.

Any maps trench/today views would be very welcome.

I'm also trying to establish his evacuation trail probably via Rouen (base hospital).

This I'm assuming as John David Pausey 2042 of the same battalion wounded on the same day went via Rouen.

The route from the front and to where in UK is not known.

Thank you in anticipation

Regards John C

PS If anyone wants information regards 7th Rifle Brigade up to 18th Aug 1916 or 2/7th Royal Scots in Ireland around Mar 1917

I would be pleased to share what I have.

True Blue,

Assuming you have located all or most of your trenches, Pioneer trench is located from just N East of Hogs head near point 74 running SE between Goat trench & Bulls Road joining Bulls Rd. Pioneer trench was sometimes known as New Trench.

Colin.

I would be extremely grateful for any maps and overlays of today's landscape for these trenches in the Festubert South sector in April 1918.

The named trenches are Princes Island, George Street, Old British Line, Barnton, Le Plantin North and South and Cheshire Road.

These relate to this thread.

Many thanks in advance.

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

True Blue,

Assuming you have located all or most of your trenches, Pioneer trench is located from just N East of Hogs head near point 74 running SE between Goat trench & Bulls Road joining Bulls Rd. Pioneer trench was sometimes known as New Trench.

Colin.

Colin,

Are you able to show me where on a map. Can't see any of these on the trench maps I've looked at.

I've managed to find the Grease trecnch , north of Hilt Trench Thanks to the Newfoundland Reg and the battle of the Transloy Ridges in Oct 1916. Which was just north of Gueudecourt.

Wendy's NZ map has Switch trench south of Flers. But I haven't found any of the others.

True Blue

• 1 month later...

After an earlier post today I discovered the location I am looking for is the trench "Rotten Row" near the town of Souchez in the Arras area if anyone can help me with a map.

Thanks

Chris

• Admin

You probably need map 36c SW3 Vimy, map ref is M32c s2a. Now over to those who have Linesman!

Michelle

Can anyone help with STARCROSS CORNER, which is 'near Ypres' and BELLEVUE TRENCH near Passchendaele?

These from Eric Hiscock - Bells of Hell etc book.

Hugh

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

I was hoping someone can help with finding a map, overhead views, or even photos (then and now) of Boritska Trench (Le Transloy Ridge) around the time of October 1916. This is the area where my great uncle was killed on 23rd October 1916.

Cheers,

Mark